Dina R. Jansenson, Esq.
has over twenty-five years of experience mediating and arbitrating a wide variety of matters including complex business/commercial, employment, construction, franchise, professional liability, and intellectual property disputes with domestic and international parties. She brings a broad base of substantive knowledge, as well as a deep understanding of the litigation challenges facing parties in the event of impasse, to help parties analyze their complex legal and business issues, engage in risk assessment, and develop creative business solutions. As an arbitrator, Ms. Jansenson is known for her ability to effectively manage the process, and for her reasoned awards. Ms. Jansenson is an elected (past) fellow of the College of Commercial Arbitrators and a fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators. Recognized as an expert in the field of alternative dispute resolution, she is a frequent speaker for corporations, universities, and organizations in the United States and abroad. Ms. Jansenson speaks fluent Spanish and Hebrew, and has conducted mediations in these languages on request.
ADR Experience and Qualifications
- Business/Commercial: Breach of contract, lender liability, licensing disputes, fee disputes, partnership disputes and dissolutions, shareholder rights, and closely-held corporations in a variety of industries including financial services, accounting, medical, manufacturing, entertainment, and telecommunications
- Construction: Claims involving allegations of work defects, design defects, unauthorized change orders, delays, and breach of contract
- Employment: Individual and multi-party claims of discrimination (race, gender, age, disability, national origin, and sexual orientation), retaliation and harassment, executive compensation, “wage and hour” class actions, and non-compete agreements
- Franchise: Disputes between automobile dealerships and car manufacturers relating to relocation issues, encroachment issues and franchise fees
- Intellectual Property/Entertainment: Copyright, trade secret, and trademark disputes; issues of ownership rights relating to the design of computer software; music royalty disputes; medical device disputes; author rights issues
- Professional Liability: Legal malpractice claims involving real estate transactions, trademark claims, music licensing and royalty issues; medical malpractice claims against physicians, hospitals, and other healthcare providers
- Chair of arbitration panel on a complex, multimillion, matter involving claims of breach of employment and partnership agreements, and breach of fiduciary duties
- Member of three arbitrator panel in an ICC multimillion dollar dispute arising out of oil contracts entered into in the former Soviet Union
- Arbitrated numerous matters in connection with the Black Farmers Discrimination Litigation
- Arbitrated numerous contract/construction-related matters involving allegations of work defects, design defects, unauthorized change orders, delays, and breach of contract
- Arbitrated and mediated numerous disputes alleging discrimination on the basis of gender, race, age and disability; as well as compensation and bonus claims, in a variety of industries
- Mediated high stakes commercial dispute between and among a lending institution and several corporations over trademark and lender liability matters
- Mediated multi-party dispute between and among governmental agencies and various contractors involving debris removal efforts resulting from a major hurricane
- Mediated multiple breach of contract claims among and among entities in the financial industry
- Mediated numerous product liability claims relating to medical devices
- Mediated the settlement of class action matters involving claims under the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA)
- Mediated multi-party dispute between and among shareholders and management regarding management issues and shareholder rights in a large family-held business
- Mediated breaches of telecommunication agreements
What Counsel and Clients Say About Dina R. Jansenson’s Mediation Style and Skills
- "Dina: Any time you'd care to use me as a reference, please do so. I never thought this case had more than a 10-20% chance of resolving, let alone at the first attempt. What did it was your rare ability to instill in the participants (certainly my side, and I cannot even fathom that the same would not apply to the other side) a total atmosphere of trust. Your intelligence and your uncanny ability to keep the level of discussion at the proper level led to the parties agreeing. It was that simple. I really hope I have the chance to call upon you again. And I certainly will contact you if we (or I) need help with the settlement agreement.”
- "I was impressed with your mediation skills, which are a rare mix of intelligence, forceful advocacy, sensitivity and patience."
- “You are a quick learner for difficult subject matter and terminology, and you are one of the brightest and best folks that JAMS has.”
- “You did an outstanding job of dealing with [ ] the company's CFO to whom you spoke on the telephone, who was particularly impressed by your analysis of the case. . . . Thanks again for your outstanding work in the face of having to deal with so many difficult issues.”
- “Both sides feel [ ], as does [client] profess ....that you were an excellent choice as mediator and you helped us settle a very difficult emotional issue. I thought your analysis of ‘who had the better case [ ]’ compared with ‘who had the most to lose’ [ ] was a brilliant imprimatur in the morning session, that really got [ ] off the dime, and into a settlement mode. Bravo! You were also very kind in communicating [ ] ‘respect’ for my presentation, in which I tried to be conciliatory and gentle, yet at the same time firm and resolute. Again, resulting from my reading of your paper on Negotiation - a brilliant must read piece.”
- “For me it was a great experience in many ways, especially to be there and to understand the dynamics of mediation. Theory is certainly different than practice. Thanks for all your help, now I really believe in the power of mediation.”
- “You were terrific and accomplished what I thought for sure could not be done! I too hope we get to work together again. Thanks again for all our hard work and not giving up!”
- "Your ability to work with both parties, but especially [name] at a legal, but more importantly an emotional level, was in my view the key to our collective success."
- “I wanted to say very sincerely how pleased I was with the way you handled the mediation yesterday. Very skillfully done, I thought. I know from speaking with them that the others on my side agreed. So, you made me look smart for picking such an able mediator. “
- “I want to reiterate again that we recognize how much of an accomplishment that it was for you to achieve this settlement. We were very lucky to have you as our mediator.”
- “It was an absolute pleasure working with you and we both feel you did a fantastic job. Our client is very pleased, as are we.”
- "Thanks again for your special touch which was most instrumental in getting us to 'yes.'"
- “All the great things I heard about you are true!”
- “In speaking with [ ], in house counsel for [ ] in this matter, he thought Dina was ‘head and shoulders’ above other mediators and arbitrators that he has used over the years and considers Dina in the top 10% of mediators to which he has been exposed. He felt that Dina was fair and even though he didn’t get exactly the result he wanted, he thought Dina was professional, dogged regarding getting parties past impasse and knowledgeable about both the mediation process and the litigation nuances of this case. Furthermore, he thought Dina was honest and did not ‘blow smoke’ as other mediators do.”
- “Dina did a phenomenal job. She was very empathic and patient and warm and sympathetic. She was helpful and creative and she did a great job.”