Hon. Nat A. Agliano (Ret.) joined JAMS’ panel of neutral arbitrators and mediators a short time after his retirement as Presiding Justice of the Court of Appeal, Sixth Appellate District in 1992.
Prior to his service on the Court of Appeal, Justice Agliano served as a Judge of the Monterey County Superior Court for 13 years. He was also in private practice for nine years, and served as a California Deputy Attorney General for three years prior to private practice.
ADR Experience and Qualifications
Justice Agliano has served as a mediator, or referee/special master and judge pro-tem in thousands of cases in virtually every practice area of civil law. His 46 years of legal experience as a practitioner, judge, and teacher provides him with great understanding and insight in the resolution of cases ranging from the straightforward to the most complex.
- Appellate Review
- Cases involving sufficiency of evidence, legal error, propriety of jury instructions, reversible error
- Administrative Law
- Hospital denial/discipline/ termination of medical staff privileges; governmental employment issues
- Business Commercial
- Breach of contract matters involving manufacturing, sales, crop growing, telecommunications, electronics, waste disposal, cell phone distributorship, radio broadcasting, airline charter, cemetery services
- Commercial and residential construction disputes; construction defects, insurance coverage, causation of harm, damages
- Employment Law
- Cases involving claims of unlawful termination; Hostile work environment, retaliation, age discrimination, gender discrimination, damages
- Family Law
- Characterization of property as community or separate; spousal and child support; attorney’s fees and costs
- Disputes between Hospitals, Health plans, Health Plan members/patients
- Disputes involving policy interpretation, coverage including insurer’s duty to defend and/or indemnify, Insurer’s duty to investigate, and claims of bad faith
- Personal Injury
- Professional Liability
- Legal and Medical malpractice claims including determination of standard of care, causation of harm, damages
- Real Property
- Purchase and sale disputes, misrepresentation and non-disclosure, brokers and agents rights and responsibilities, partition of real estate, determining fair market value of property, determining reasonable rent of commercial and agricultural property; damage to real property, eminent domain/inverse condemnation