Formerly a partner at Cooley, Godward specializing in intellectual property litigation, John B. Bates, Jr., Esq.
has been mediating full time since 1991. He has successfully mediated several thousand cases in 30 states on a wide range of issues and is particularly skilled in resolving complex, multiparty disputes. Many of these matters involved various facets of intellectual property, including trade secrets, trademark, trade libel, copyright, and patent issues, not only among competitors, but in the employment context as well. He splits his time between his family residences in Northern California and Hawaii.
- Copyright infringement case involving Fortune 500 company settled on confidential monetary terms
- License dispute between Fortune 500 companies resolved, terms confidential
- Patent infringement case with million-dollar settlement
- Software performance and misappropriation of trade secrets case with million-dollar settlement
- Dispute between venture partners settled confidentially
- Dispute on royalties for license of intellectual property settled on confidential basis
- Misappropriation of trade secrets case settled on confidential monetary terms and consent decree
- Multi-party, multi-jurisdictional dispute concerning departure of employees to competitor from Fortune 500 company settled on confidential basis
- Dispute involving software licensing, resolving with a multimillion dollar settlement