Hon. Ariel E. Belen (Ret.), FCIArb joined JAMS in 2012 after nearly 18 years of judicial service to the State of New York in both the trial and appellate parts. Justice Belen helped create the Commercial Division in Kings County (Brooklyn) and then presided over complex commercial cases from 2002 to 2005.
A well-known figure in ADR, Judge Belen was an early and effective advocate for alternative methods of dispute resolution while on the bench and has developed a diverse practice at JAMS.
Justice Belen is fluent in Spanish and can effectively communicate with Spanish speaking litigants and clients.
Download Justice Belen's biography in Spanish
Since joining JAMS in 2012, Judge Belen has acted as a mediator or arbitrator in a wide range of construction disputes, including:
- Arbitrated construction defect matter involving damages resulting from a burst water pipe in a landmark hotel converted into luxury condominiums
- Mediated construction defect case involving the installation of an HVAC system and the damage caused by allegedly faulty functionality
- Mediated case involving claims arising from a freeze-up and water leakage of a pipe located in an apartment building
- Mediated construction defect case involving a dispute between a major hotel conglomerate and the manufacturers of installed heat pump units in guest rooms
- Mediated breach of contract construction matter in connection with the construction of a nine-story condominium building
- Mediated collapse of commercial building during construction of an adjacent luxury hotel in lower Manhattan
- Served as court appointed mediator in federal bankruptcy case related to the construction of a luxury skyscraper in midtown Manhattan