Hon. Ariel E. Belen (Ret.)
is an accomplished international mediator and arbitrator at JAMS. As a well-known figure in Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) he has developed a diverse practice and is sought after in many areas of conflict resolution. Judge Belen formerly served as an Associate Justice of the Appellate Division, Second Department from 2008 until 2012 and served as a Justice of the New York Supreme Court trial and appellate terms from 1995 until 2012. Justice Belen helped create the Commercial Division in Kings County (Brooklyn) and then presided over complex commercial cases from 2002 to 2005. Over the course of nearly 18 years of distinguished judicial service and during his time at JAMS, Judge Belen has developed a reputation as a calm, intelligent, fair, and hardworking neutral.
Since joining JAMS in 2012, Judge Belen has acted as an arbitrator or mediator in hundreds of complex disputes covering a wide range of practice areas. As a result of his reputation on the bench and his experience at JAMS, Judge Belen is also a highly sought after special master. In particular, Judge Belen was appointed as the Federal Facilitator to guide the Joint Remedial Process in the New York City stop and frisk and housing arrests class action settlements, as described in the Remedies Opinion in Floyd v. City of New York, 959 F. Supp. 2d 668 (SDNY 2013). In this program, Judge Belen is charged with assisting the City of New York and its residents with developing sustainable reforms to the stop and frisk and housing arrest practices of the New York City Police Department through a community based civic engagement and remedial process.
A prolific writer, Justice Belen co-authored New York Trial Notebook, a comprehensive trial practice treatise. He was an instructor for many years at the New York State Judicial Institute where he taught all newly appointed or elected New York judges in the art of judging.
Justice Belen is fluent in Spanish. He can effectively communicate with Spanish speaking litigants and clients in all matters. Download Justice Belen's biography in Spanish
Representative International Matters
Since joining JAMS in 2012, Judge Belen has acted as a mediator or arbitrator in a wide range disputes covering Business/Commercial, Construction, Employment, Personal Injury, and has served as a Special Master for high profile cases. His international mediation and arbitration experience includes:
- Chaired international arbitration matter concerning breach of contract and other claims between major international telecommunication conglomerates
- Arbitrated executive compensation and deferred compensation claims upon the termination of a high level executive in a multinational corporation based in Europe
- Mediated a business commercial matter involving a joint venture with a Taiwanese firm and the financial damages and partnership dissolution as a result of the terminated venture
- Mediated a case between U.S. based investors and a Latin American telecommunications venture
- Served as a special master on a matter related to authority issues in a business commercial case involving a Korean real estate contract
- Mediated a business commercial matter involving a breach of contract and alleged fraud claims in a patent transaction between American and European parties
- Mediated a business commercial matter related to a breach of contract and misrepresentation between American and Chinese parties