A retired Justice of the Appellant Division of the New York Supreme Court, former Commercial Division Justice and Administrative Judge of the Supreme Court in Kings County, Justice Belen co-authored New York Trial Notebook, a comprehensive trial practice treatise. He was an instructor at the New York State Judicial Institute. Justice Belen has a wealth of experience in managing and evaluating civil disputes. Based upon his administrative, trial and appellate experience, he is well suited for appointment as a Special Master/Discovery Referee and for other court related referrals.
- Temporary Trustee appointed to marshal and manage the assets of a multi-million dollar trust pending complex litigation in the New York Commercial Division
- Special Referee under CPLR 4317 appointed to hear and determine damages in a legal malpractice action
- Neutral evaluation of the merit of an appeal from a multi-million dollar verdict in a medical malpractice action
- Special Referee under CPLR 4317 appointed to supervise a forensic review of multiple computer devices and to hear and report whether privileged communications were unlawfully obtained through the use of spyware
- Special Discovery Master appointed to supervise discovery in a complex commercial litigation pending in the New York Commercial Division
- Special Master selected to conduct privilege reviews in a complex commercial arbitration involving a dispute between institutional investors and managers of a large hedge fund in dissolution