Jeffrey G. Benz, Esq., MBA has over two decades of international experience as an advocate, arbitrator and mediator in international disputes, including both litigation and arbitration. He also brings executive management experience to every case he works on. Mr. Benz has experience on all sides of the ADR community. He has been the arbitrator, the lawyer, the client, and the private judge and the mediator in international cases around the world. Mr. Benz’s experience in these diverse roles affords him a uniquely well-rounded perspective on commercial disputes and the broad array of possible options available to resolve them. His ADR career has covered vast areas of complex business, insurance, financial, commercial, regulatory, entertainment, events, manufacturing, sports, and technology issues.
Mr. Benz has established a track record of success in his ADR career. He is known for creative solutions, his high energy and unflagging persistence to drive solutions. His affability and sense of humor often serves as a valuable tool to confront difficult conversations and solve seemingly intractable problems.
ADR Experience and Qualifications
- Over 15 years’ experience serving as an arbitrator or mediator in intellectual property, insurance, wrongful death/personal injury, products liability, admiralty/maritime, sports, entertainment, technology, intellectual property, business and commercial disputes
- Has resolved more than 400 disputes of all sizes, involving hundreds of millions of dollars in dispute, as both arbitrator and mediator, worldwide; he is an experienced panel chair and wing and solo arbitrator, as well as a mediator, comfortable in any role
- Serves on numerous specialty ADR panels including international, sports, technology, and entertainment panels, worldwide
- Has presided over ICDR, JAMS, CAS, and other institution international arbitrations worldwide and advocated for parties in ICC, AAA, and other institution arbitrations.
- Substantial experience negotiating, structuring, drafting, and enforcing wide variety of complex commercial agreements, including dispute resolution provisions, across a wide array of industries and jurisdictions
- Sought after ADR speaker and lecturer, including the following: AAA panel on managing tripartite arbitrations, numerous conferences on dispute resolution in sports and entertainment cases, LACBA International Law Section International Arbitration Conferences, Chartered Institute of Arbitrators Fellowship Training and North American Branch Annual Conference, and others.
- Adjunct Professor, Pepperdine University Law School, Straus Institute (top-rated program in dispute resolution in the US) (Malibu, CA). Courses include International Sports Law, Sports Dispute Resolution, and Ethics in International Commercial Arbitration.
- Organizer for conferences on Olympic dispute resolution and doping.
- Adjunct Professor, Instituto Superior De Derecho y Economia (ISDE) (Madrid and Barcelona) (courses on Asian Sports Law, Racism in Football, and Alternative Dispute Resolution in Business).
- Arbitration Law Trainer for Legal Development Programs, European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (2014-15 Moldova; 2016 Jordan; Egypt (project pending)) and with CEDR. These programs are focused on enforcement of international commercial arbitration
Representative International Matters
- Sole arbitrator in large ICDR music event related dispute between a performer and a promoter
- Wing arbitrator in large (over €50 million) sports sponsorship dispute between sponsor and rights holder arising from alleged violation of morals clause.
- Sole arbitrator in large ICDR dispute relating to the production and finance of various motion pictures.
- Sole arbitrator in ICDR dispute relating to interference and breach of contract claims arising from an international language translation service.
- Sole arbitrator in multiple international disputes arising from video game development.
- Sole, wing, or chair arbitrator in hundreds of international sports disputes involving governance, corruption, discipline, doping, events, television and over the top, sponsorship, licensing, athlete contracts (including in soccer), selections, commercial and similar matters across a wide range of sports, events, and countries.
- Sole, wing, or chair arbitrator in hundreds of domestic US arbitrations across a wide variety of industries, including consumer, sports, entertainment, commercial, insurance, admiralty/maritime, events, video game development, and similar cases.
- Served as independent fact finder in governance disputes arising in UK companies
- Extensive international experience, having lived in UK (as arbitrator, mediator, and factfinder) and China (as software executive), with service as counsel, arbitrator, and mediator in a wide variety of international cases involving global institutions.
- Door tenant at prominent barristers chambers in London
- Member, arbitration panels worldwide: International Chamber of Commerce (ICC), London Court of International Arbitration (LCIA), China International Economic and Trade Arbitration Commission (CIETAC), Beijing Arbitration Commission (BAC), Republic of China Arbitration Association, International Centre for Dispute Resolution (ICDR), Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS), and others and extensive experience as counsel, arbitrator or mediator in disputes before those bodies