Gary Birnberg, Esq. joins JAMS as a seasoned ADR professional, specializing in the resolution of a diverse array of commercial disputes including contractual, intellectual property, real estate/construction, insurance, maritime, financial transactions, and shareholder disputes. Mr. Birnberg has served as an international mediator, arbitrator or special master in hundreds of commercial disputes and is known for employing his legal acumen and business skills to quickly grasp the facts in complex cases. Mr. Birnberg is a Florida Supreme Court certified Circuit and Appellate mediator admitted to the Bar in four U.S. states, including New York.
A member of dispute resolution panels of 10 institutions in Brazil, France, and United States, his practice is primarily focused on international disputes. An active participant in the global mediation community, Mr. Birnberg is a member and Secretary-Treasurer of the IBA Mediation Committee, a frequent speaker at conferences, university lecturer, competition judge and coach (including ICC, Vis, and CDRC) and advocate of expanded and innovative uses of mediation.
Mr. Birnberg dedicated more than 20 years to international management consulting and entrepreneurship, starting at the Paris office of the global consultancy Oliver Wyman. He has worked in more than 20 industries in 14 countries and has served as mediator or arbitrator in hundreds of commercial conflicts.
Mr. Birnberg is a U.S. citizen and permanent resident of Brazil, fluent in English, French, and Portuguese with conversational capacity in Italian and Spanish. He frequently speaks and provides trainings on various areas of ADR, as he stays current on local and international issues to continue his growth and expertise as a neutral and to stay active within the legal community worldwide.
ADR Experience and Qualifications
- 20 years of experience in international management consulting, spanning 14 countries and more than 20 industries
- Experienced mediator and arbitrator in the resolution of high-value, complex, international cases in the areas of commercial contracts, construction, intellectual property, maritime, real estate transactions, investments, business, M&A, and private equity disputes
- Settled hundreds of commercial disputes
- Florida Supreme Court’s Civil (2010) and Appellate Mediator Certification (2012)
- Matters involving shareholder rights and valuation, including dissolutions, minority share valuations upon sale, disputes involving private equity transactions
- Matters arising from corporate transactions, including M&A, in domestic and cross-border cases
- Coordinating efforts, as a mediatory project manager, for a multinational, multidisciplinary team working on an international IPO valued at U.S. $130 million
- Multi-party matters involving complex liability, including with maritime cases
- Matters related to financial restructuring, involving major global banks
- Family business disputes, including succession
- Patent and Trademark infringement, including industrial design
- Cross-border probate
- Business restructuring: global aluminum producer
- Contract disputes and additional work in aviation industry
- Real estate development, construction, and finance
- Insurance and reinsurance matters
- Work in and related to the following additional industries/services: public transport PPP, pharmaceuticals, medical devices, medical administrative services, business travel management, film and entertainment, investments, consumer electronics, eyewear