Hon. Joseph R. Brisco (Ret.) joined JAMS following 21 years as a judge with the San Bernardino County Superior Court. During that time, he served as Supervising Judge of the Civil Departments, Presiding Judge of the Appellate Division and, for several years, was assigned to hear all of the Writs of Mandate in the county. Most recently, he presided over the mandatory settlement conference department, serving as a settlement judge.
Prior to taking the bench, Judge Brisco spent 14 years as a civil litigator in San Diego, where he handled serious and catastrophic injury cases—involving deaths, brain injuries and amputations—arising from products liability, premises liability, and motor vehicle accidents. He also served on the San Diego County Arbitration Panel.
Judge Brisco has presided over hundreds of jury trials, bench trials and settlement conferences. He has extensive and diverse experience resolving disputes, including cases involving business/commercial, employment, medical malpractice, real estate, elder abuse, product liability, and personal injury issues, including boating accidents.
Judge Brisco has a reputation for being prompt and thoroughly prepared. He manages his cases efficiently, with a touch of levity and humor. He is regarded by counsel as firm but fair.
- Numerous wage and hour disputes
- Several wrongful termination cases against public entities regarding police and corrections officers
- Wrongful termination case against large corporation for alleged discrimination based upon sexual orientation, religion, and nationality
- Wrongful termination case against large corporation for alleged sexual harassment
- Wrongful termination case against major financial institution for alleged racial and religious discrimination
- Wrongful termination case against major utility company for alleged failure to accommodate disability
- Racial discrimination claim against large manufacturing firm
- Teacher’s age discrimination case against school district