Hon. Bill H. Brister
(Former) served as Judge in the federal system in the Northern District of Texas for over 15 years; first as US Magistrate Judge and then as US Bankruptcy Judge. Before assuming the bench, he was an active civil law practitioner. Since 1992, he has concentrated on dispute resolution, mediating hundreds of cases involving bankruptcy matters, as well as virtually every type of civil dispute.
ADR Experience and Qualifications
- EEOC approved mediator, has settled multi-party EEOC complaints
- Heard thousands of matters while a bankruptcy judge, and has often represented each type of interest in bankruptcy cases. He has also authored approximately 100 opinions published while he served as bankruptcy judge.
- In his ADR practice, he has been effective in mediating consensual plans in Chapter 11 cases, as well as many adversary proceedings involving fraudulent transfer issues, discharge issues, and other contested matters.
- Recognized as a leader in application of ADR to bankruptcy litigation. His ADR practice has included a full range of general civil matters in litigation. His specialties include: bankruptcy & insolvency matters, business, banking & commercial, personal injury & tort litigation, construction & real estate, environmental issues, civil rights/employment, and professional malpractice.
- Instrumental in helping purchaser, seller, and other creditors in a real estate sale to reach a consensual plan which resolved environmental violations as well as breach of contract issues
- Mediated and settled a claim by a national union and its local against a major employer alleging sexual discrimination against women employees as a class
- Settled a mediation involving family members and companion of AIDS victim regarding debts and estate distribution
- Settled all claims and counterclaims by a physician brought against an association of doctors alleging wrongful termination of employment