Hon. William Cahill (Ret.)
has been a full time neutral since 2000 and currently conducts mediations and arbitrations throughout the United States. In the insurance area he mediated and arbitrated numerous complex coverage disputes including disputes concerning carrier contribution, subrogation disputes, inter-carrier disputes, coverage and policy interpretation cases, Directors and Officers Liability Insurance issues, asbestos coverage and numerous alleged bad faith actions. He also works in the areas of class actions, complex commercial disputes, personal injury and employment and encounters coverage questions in all of these cases.
Prior to becoming a full time neutral, Judge Cahill spent nearly ten years as a judge in San Francisco County Superior Court where he was the law and motion judge, a trial judge presiding over bench and jury trials and numerous settlement conferences. Prior to that, he was a partner and a trial lawyer at a top law firm where he practiced commercial and coverage issues relating to design professionals, owners, contractors and subcontractors liability.
Judge Cahill is a reputable neutral with a growing practice throughout the country. He has been consistently recognized as one of the top neutrals in the Bay Area as well as California by various surveys and legal publications. Judge Cahill relates to all participants in a case and enjoys the challenge of difficult assignments. Clients and lawyers report that he quickly grasps complex facts and law and they appreciate his creative settlement ideas that lead to closure. Representative Matters
- Arbitrated large insurance case arising out of hurricane Katrina between insurance companies and hospitals, involving choice of law between Pennsylvania and Louisiana law and a disputed number of occurrences regarding multiple deaths at various hospitals during the flooding
- Mediated a large breach of fiduciary duty case between several school and college districts and their insurance broker over allegations of broker malpractice in placing coverage with various carriers
- Mediation of a dispute regarding hundreds of millions of dollars of possible coverage for nationwide asbestos litigation
- Mediated cases alleging bad faith failure to resolve actions arising from complex litigation involving construction defects and toxic torts
- Mediated a series of coverage disputes between law firms and their legal malpractice insurance carriers
- Mediated coverage case related to environmental contamination at three sites in different states
- Mediated inter-carrier dispute regarding contribution for defense costs of an underlying construction defect case
- Mediated case involving alleged mishandling of numerous workers compensation claims and cross-complaint for unpaid premiums
- Mediated fidelity bond coverage disputes between insurer and insured resulting from over $3M worth of embezzlement from employee of a leading technology company
- Mediated numerous coverage disputes related to Directors and Officers Liability Insurance
- Mediated Employment Practices Liability coverage dispute seeking recovery of defense costs pursuant to settlement of an employment class action
- Mediated multi-million dollar coverage case in London between a carrier and its French insured