During the past five years as a mediator and arbitrator, Judge Cardenas has earned a reputation for settling the vast majority of matters submitted for mediation and for granting awards in arbitrations that reflect a philosophy of fairness and in-depth knowledge of the law. He served on the Orange County Superior Court bench for over 20 years, presiding over numerous court and jury trials involving medical, dental, and legal malpractice issues.
As a bench officer, Judge Cardenas presided over medical, dental, and legal jury trials to verdict, including awards of seven figures, as well as judgments for the defense.
Judge Cardenas handled several elder abuse matters while a bench officer, involving issues of medical care. The California Supreme Court affirmed his trial court decision in People v. Heitzman, (1994) 9 Cal. 4th 189.
Judge Cardenas has mediated and arbitrated numerous professional liability matters, including:
- Allegations arising out of complications from anesthesia
- Allegations of dental malpractice including root canals, crowns, implants, and TMJ related syndromes
- Cases involving cosmetic surgery, such as breast implants, liposuction, and other beauty enhancing procedures
- Claims alleging improper chiropractic care
- Claims involving allegations of improperly prescribed medications and dosages
- Disputes involving HMOs, large medical groups, and individual physicians, psychiatrists, and dentists
- Legal malpractice disputes
- Matters arising out of complications from surgery, such as allegations of using wrong surgical tools, intervention at improper site, failure to remove all foreign objects, and excessive scarring from incision closing
- Matters involving erroneous lab results
- Medical malpractice cases alleging improper diagnosis, sub-standard care treatment, and failure to monitor patient progress
- Medical malpractice disputes involving bones, ligaments, joints, and tendons