F. Carlton King, Jr., Esq. is an experienced mediator and arbitrator who has handled cases in many substantive areas of practice. His 45 years as an active trial lawyer -- representing individuals and multinational corporations, plaintiffs and defendants, in both federal and state courts in many states -- provide him with insight into the wide array of legal and practical issues that usually impact settlement.
As a trial lawyer he has represented both employers and employees, trying numerous cases to juries involving age, race and gender discrimination, disability benefit disputes and sexual harassment.
- Arbitrated a FSLA overtime collective action
- Arbitrated a breach of a contract claim where a CEO disputed a discharge for cause
- Mediated numerous sexual harassment claims
- Mediated a race and national origin discrimination claim against a city
- Mediated a case where a school superintendent was dismissed by a local school board
- Mediated a race discrimination claim against a senior manager of a major retail chain
- Mediated several claims for unpaid commissions and stock options
- Mediated numerous claims involving denial of disability benefits
- Mediated several cases where insurance carriers have been involved and participated in the mediation
- Fellow, American College of Civil Trial Mediators
- Recognized by Best Lawyers as one of the Best Lawyers in America, 2003-2022
- The Best Lawyers in America in ADR, Arbitration, Mediation and Commercial Litigation categories
- Atlanta Collegium of Arbitrators and Mediators
- Selected a Georgia Super Lawyer, limited to 5% of the Georgia Bar, based on peer evaluation
- Member, American Bar Association, Atlanta Bar Association, and State Bar of Georgia
- Member, Georgia Academy of Mediators and Arbitrators
- Adjunct Professor, Employment Litigation, Emory University School of Law
- Civil Trial Practice since 1971
- Of Counsel: Ford & Harrison, current
- Former Partner: King & Croft, LLP; Ford Harrison; and Hansell, Post, Brandon & Dorsey (now Jones Day)
- J.D., University of Virginia, 1971; Order of the Coif; Law Review
- BA., Furman University, 1968
- "Carlton assisted my company in mediating a very difficult employment dispute. It was clear that he was prepared for the mediation. He had a good handle on the facts and understood the challenges to resolution. Carlton was creative and pushed both sides hard to move closer to amicable resolution."
-Corporate Counsel for Fortune 100 Retailer
- "Carlton assisted me in resolving a thorny reverse-race discrimination and sex discrimination claim brought by a high level executive against my client employer. Carlton approached the mediation in a way that allowed both parties to understand clearly that he knew and appreciated the underlying facts and applicable law. He was able to get both parties to see the strengths and weaknesses of their respective cases in a manner which garnered trust from both sides. I would recommend Carlton for any employment or business dispute."
-Management Employment Litigator
- “We have employed Carlton in employment-related cases because of his expertise and experience in the area. That experience and expertise has been very instrumental in making him an effective mediator. He has been successful in circumstances where the parties were very far apart in achieving resolution. I heartily recommend Carlton for employment-related matters.”
-Plaintiff Employment Litigator
This page is for general information purposes. JAMS makes no representations or warranties regarding its accuracy or completeness. Interested persons should conduct their own research regarding information on this website before deciding to use JAMS, including investigation and research of JAMS neutrals. See More