Judge Chapman has resolved a wide variety of entertainment-related disputes and is highly regarded for her skill and patience in handling complicated and sensitive issues involved in high-stakes cases. She currently is on the arbitration panels for the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) and the United States Center for SafeSport.
Prior to becoming a neutral at JAMS, Judge Chapman enjoyed a long and well-respected career as a federal magistrate judge for the District Court for the Central District of California (greater Los Angeles area) and as a recalled magistrate judge for the Northern District of California (San Francisco and San Jose). She has conducted more than 400 settlement conferences, handled a wide range of complex civil matters, and managed discovery and related proceedings in thousands of cases, including class actions and multi-district litigation.
- Dispute over royalties between production company and entertainment conglomerate
- Sexual abuse and harassment claims by back-up singer against tour manager and management company
- Entertainment conglomerate’s action against insurer for reimbursement of litigation settlement damages
- Entertainer's action for interim relief based on breach of confidentiality agreement
- Amateur athletes’ claims against team members for sexual abuse
- Copyright infringement action by family of deceased songwriter against music publisher and artists
- Popular musical band’s copyright infringement action regarding use of song in television commercial
- Adult entertainment company’s copyright infringement action involving Internet sales
- Copyright and contributory copyright infringement action against licensee involving sale and distribution of films, videotapes and digital video files
- Gaming materials’ owner's action for copyright and trademark infringement against multiple defendants
- Entertainment company’s action involving unauthorized use of protected words in advertisements for television series
- Musical composers’ action against multiple defendants for illegally incorporating portions of copyrighted compositions and sound recordings into musical album
- Motion picture producer/lender’s action for interim relief against foreign sales agent based on breach of contract and breach of fiduciary duty
- Professional boxer’s and boxing promoter’s contract dispute
- Author’s copyright infringement action against multiple defendants (including service provider) involving copying and electronic distribution of protected works on Internet
- Photographer’s action for copyright infringement against entertainment promoter and merchandiser
- Action against publishing company for copyright infringement and failure to pay royalties to family of deceased author
- Game show creator’s copyright infringement action regarding use of protected game show elements
- Cross-actions for trademark infringement and attendant merchandising rights involving theatrical film and potential television series
- Action by clothing manufacturer involving use of protected name on professional athletic merchandise
- Sports photographer’s action against publishing company for copyright and trade dress infringement
- Toy manufacturer’s claim for theft of trade secrets against competitor
- Production company’s action for recovery of foreign royalties
- Sexual harassment action by back-up singer against tour manager
- Judge Chapman is a neutral for the Court for Arbitration of Sport (CAS)
- Panel Chair for United States Anti-Doping Agency action against known athlete
- Action by reality show participants against producer for breach of contract
- Memberships & Professional Activities
- Member, arbitration panel of Japan Commercial Arbitration Association
- Member, arbitration panel of the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS)
- Member, arbitration panel of United States Center for SafeSport
- Member, International Association of Women Judges, 2006-present
- Board of Directors, Federal Magistrate Judges Association, 2008-2010
- Advisory Group of Magistrate Judges, Administrative Office of United States Courts, 2000-2006
- Board Member, Federal Bar Association (Los Angeles Chapter), 2002-2005
- Executive Committee & Board of Directors, Boalt Hall School of Law Alumni Association, 1993-1997
- ADR Profiles
- "Digging Deeply," ADR Profile, Daily Journal, August 26, 2016
- Judge, United Nations Appeals Tribunal, 2012-2017
- United States Magistrate Judge, United States District Court, Central District of California, 1995-2012
- Administrative Law Judge, Office of Administrative Hearings, State of California, 1977-1995
- Labor Arbitrator Certificate, Institute of Industrial Relations, University of California at Los Angeles,1979
- Lecturer, School of Law, University of California at Los Angeles, 1972-1973
- Public Interest Lawyer, 1967-1972, 1973-1977
- J.D., University of California, Berkeley School of Law (Boalt Hall)
- B.A. cum laude, University of Michigan
- "You did a terrific job bringing peace to our valley."
- Litigation Partner
- “[Judge Chapman is] an EXCELLENT mediator…. [She works] extremely hard, [is] wise, tough when it's called for, super smart and knowledgeable and [has] some fun in [her] too! [She did a] great job in accomplishing what we thought would never happen this week!”
– Principal at Business Litigation Firm
- "[Judge Chapman] really grabbed the parties' attention, and we walked out with a term sheet that day, which was unexpected and I think quite an achievement for the mediator.... She knows how to identify those aspects of your case that you need to evaluate most closely, that offer you the most unpredictability. And that's what makes people move."
– Litigation Partner
- "I think [Judge Chapman] must have worked some magic behind the scenes so to speak. I can't fully explain how she did it; I just know she got it done.... I don't believe in luck or coincidence, but I do believe in experience."
– Intellectual Property Litigation Partner
- "It wasn't your typical mediation where you're fighting over money all day; it was ... more complex. [Judge Chapman] was tireless and just worked really hard to get us to a point where we could both walk away."
– Litigation Associate
- "[Judge Chapman] tends to have a little more weight than your typical mediator. She adds value. ... She just kind of gives you the information she needs to give you so you can make a good decision."
– Principal in Business Law Firm
- [Judge Chapman] resolved both of [my cases] very shortly after the mediation. The follow-up is, at least in my mind, one of her strengths."
– Principal in Small Firm
“We appreciate [Judge Chapman’s] diligence, thoughtful opinions, well-reasoned decisions and tireless work. We would highly recommend [her] as an arbitrator in future matters.”– Litigation Partner
This page is for general information purposes. JAMS makes no representations or warranties regarding its accuracy or completeness. Interested persons should conduct their own research regarding information on this website before deciding to use JAMS, including investigation and research of JAMS neutrals. See More