A full-time neutral since 1998, Zela ''Zee'' G. Claiborne, Esq., is held in the highest regard by counsel for her exceptional listening skills, fairness, and calming influence when diffusing volatile situations. Known for being tenacious in order to achieve settlements she has handled many types of health care matters including disputes between hospitals and suppliers, insurance carriers, health workers’ unions as well as cases involving staffing and construction of hospitals.
- Arbitrator for a contract dispute between a large insurance carrier and a group of hospitals
- Mediation between a health care company and a group of surgeons and anesthesiologists arising out of discussions about how staffing would be handled at a proposed new surgery center
- Mediation of claims by a hospital group in Hawaii and the suppliers and servicers of allegedly defective new software for patient records and billing
- Resolution of claims against a U.S. design firm arising out of construction of a hospital in India
- Dispute arising out of a contract between a health workers’ union and a firm that gathers signatures to qualify an initiative for the California ballot
- Arbitrator for claims for monetary damages and injunctive relief by a group of dialysis treatment centers arising out of a licensing agreement for computerized software for dialysis treatment and management
- Mediated a claim by an elderly resident with no insurance against a non-profit retirement community over the terms of a Continuing Care Agreement
- Chaired an arbitration panel for a dispute between and national medical device manufacturer and a national pharmaceutical company involving licensing claims to certain worldwide patents for cardiac stents, with rights valued at approximately $4 billion
- Resolution of a multimillion dollar legal malpractice claim brought by the developer of health care communities for seniors against a leading California law firm
- Mediation of a dispute arising out of construction of a national ambulatory care facility in the U.S.