A retired Senior Justice of the Appellate Division of the New York Supreme Court and former Commercial Division Justice, Judge Crane wrote a handbook on Case Management for the Justices and practitioners in New York County Supreme Court while he was its Administrative Judge. Through his expertise as a Commercial Division Judge and earlier, general, Individual Assignment Justice, he has built a vast experience of managing and evaluating civil litigated cases.
- Neutral evaluation of claim to profits by a non-registered broker who had attempted to secure investors for various ventures of a regulated securities entity
- Neutral evaluation of the merit of an appeal from an order dismissing a complaint pre-answer seeking recission of a gift and imposition of a constructive trust.
- Neutral evaluation of a defendant’s chances of prevailing in litigation over a termination right in a commercial lease
- Neutral evaluation of the merit of a potential lawsuit for waste against former directors of a cooperative corporation board
- Special Master to decide pending discovery motions in action brought by issuer of financial guaranty insurance policies for residential mortgage-backed securitization transactions for breach of loan-level representations and warranties when securitizations began to experience increases in delinquencies and defaults in the underlying mortgages
- Special master under FRCP 53(a)(1)(c) appointed to decide 14 motions in limine in anticipation of trial of action between competitors for damages for unfair competition and breach of contract
- Special Referee appointed pursuant to CPLR 3104 in two related actions pending in different counties to supervise all aspects of disclosure in a corporate dissolution proceeding
- Special Referee appointed pursuant to CPLR 3104 to supervise, during an on-going bench trial, the deposition of a third-party witness and other discovery related to this deposition including the cloning and inspection of the hard drive of his computer in Israel
- Umpire between competing appraisers of damage to a work of art pursuant to a policy of art insurance
- Neutral evaluator and one of three former Judges to moot argument in two motions being planned for a pending case involving insurance coverage of a mass tort class action