Hon. John C. Cratsley (Ret.) been a full-time arbitrator and mediator since joining JAMS in 2011. He focuses his practice on a wide variety of matters, including contract, construction, employment and insurance disputes.
Prior to joining JAMS, Judge Cratsley spent 24 years on the Massachusetts Superior Court, notably serving as Chair of the Superior Court Committee on Alternative Dispute Resolution. From 1999 to 2004, he served as Chair of the Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court’s Standing Committee on Dispute Resolution.
Judge Cratsley has extensive experience in the resolution of complex employment disputes in the following areas:
- Mediated and settled claim of discrimination and retaliatory discharge
- Settled multi-party age discrimination claim
- Mediated and settled physician breach of employment contract dispute
- Settled claims involving discrimination on the basis of disability and age
- Mediated and settled claim of defamation in employment termination matter
- Employment discrimination trials involving claims of race, age, gender, and handicap discrimination, as well as claims for sexual harassment, retaliation, and termination in violation of public policy and/or contractual agreements
- Representative appellate decisions include Carter v. Commissioner of Correction, 43 Mass.App.Ct. 212 (1997) (race and gender discrimination); Handrahan v. Red Roof Inns, Inc., 43 Mass.App.Ct.13 (1997) (handicap discrimination); and Wright v. Shriners Hospital, 412 3
- Mass.469 (1992) (termination in violation of public policy)
- Judicial review of public agency employment arbitration decisions. See City v. Salaried Employees Local, 77 Mass.App.Ct.785 (2010) (affirming arbitrator award)
- Judicial review, under 30A, of public agency appeals of pension and retirement decisions