Hon. Morton Denlow (Ret.) joined JAMS following 16 1/2 years of distinguished service as a Magistrate Judge for the United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois. During his time on the bench, Judge Denlow presided over thousands of matters in both the pretrial and trial stages. He has conducted over 2,000 settlement conferences.
A nationally recognized expert in settling cases, Judge Denlow has continued to prove invaluable to parties involved in intractable disputes at JAMS. His breadth of experience as an advocate, a settlement-focused judge and successful mediator makes him an ideal choice to mediate the complex case.
Judge Denlow has adjudicated, mediated or arbitrated banking disputes in a variety of contexts:
- Aviation Loan
- Settled suit on defaulted aviation loan pending in Michigan
- Bank Fraud
- Settled suit alleging bank wrongfully deposited forged check
- Settled state court actions for $2.5 million involving claims that bank officer conspired with third party to defraud bank customer
- Bank Trustee
- Settled suit against bank trustee alleging breach of fiduciary duty arising out of $10 million investment loss
- Bonding Claims
- Settled suit seeking converage under a Financial Institution Bond
- Directors, Officers
- Settled 14 lawsuits and pre-suit claims brought by the FDIC against former officers and directors of closed banks. Some settlements involved directors' and officers' insurance carriers and others involved personal contributions by directors and officers. Cases involved banks located in Illinois, Nebraska, Ohio and Indiana.
- Loan Guaranty
- Settled suit on a guaranty arising out of a foreclosure on a shopping center in Indiana
- Mortgage Class Action
- Settled national class action against bank claiming that defendant bank breached its mortgage trial plan under the HAMP program
- Settled class action suit alleging bank failed to timely release mortgage liens after loans were repaid