Prior to joining JAMS in 2014, Lynn Duryee served as a judge for 21 years in Marin County, where she was known for her superb settlement skills. Much of her career was in the civil division, where she presided over, managed, and settled hundreds of personal injury cases. Outside of her duties at court, she taught hundreds of courses to judges throughout California in all aspects of civil litigation, evidence, ethics, and dispute resolution. She served as Dean of the B.E. Witkin Judicial College. Along with attorney Matt White, she co-wrote Mastering Mediation: 50 Essential Tools for the Advanced Practitioner (Thomson Reuters, 2012). She serves as an Adjunct Professor at the University of San Francisco, School of Law, teaching Mediation and Civil Procedure.
Judge Duryee is known for her practical and personal approach to settling cases and has extensive experience in mediating, trying, and arbitrating a wide range of personal injury matters, from low speed car accidents to catastrophic losses.
Recent Representative Matters
- Settled multiple slip and fall/trip and fall matters arising out of claimed premises defects, such as slippery floors and obstacles in walkways
- Arbitrated division of insurance proceeds among families who suffered the loss of a parent or spouse in a catastrophic auto accident
- Settled an injury claim between a medical professional and a convicted drunk driver
- Settled an injury claim between a bicyclist and a red-light runner
- Settled an elder abuse claim between a senior citizen and a financial advisor
- Settled a premises liability claim arising out of a pedestrian-auto accident at a swap meet
- Settled a wrongful death claim arising out of a jay-walker’s death in the middle of a busy street
- Settled a sexual assault claim involving a minor and a teacher
- Settled a sexual assault claim involving a patient and therapist
- Settled multiple claims arising out of auto accidents