Bruce A. Edwards, Esq.
is one of JAMS founding partners and most experienced attorney mediators.
Mr. Edwards has served as a mediator, arbitrator, and special master since 1986. He is frequently called upon to handle large-scale construction disputes, engineering and infrastructure disputes, mechanics lien claims, and delay claims around the country. He has successfully resolved large commercial and public works projects involving hundreds of millions of dollars.
Mr. Edwards has mediated and arbitrated over 4,500 cases nationwide primarily focusing on large construction disputes and questions of breach of contract, defect, cost overrun, delay/disruption, and insurance issues – including OCIP, CCIP, and wrap policies – as well as indemnity, coverage, and overlapping coverage. He has successfully resolved and arbitrated numerous commercial and public works projects and construction disputes involving state office buildings, airport parking structures, high-rise resort hotels and condominiums, dams, public housing projects, municipal sports stadiums, and federal highway projects.
- Moderator: MC2: Semi-Annual Construction Defect Litigation Conference in Nevada, Colorado and Florida (2003-2008)
- Speaker: West Coast Casualty Construction Defect Conference; Mealeys Construction Defect Conference; Construction Defect Super Conference; DRI, Construction Defect Conference; American Bar Association, ADR Subcommittee Annual Conference
- Successfully mediated class action involving defective pipe in 35,000 homes in Southern Nevada involving over twenty developer/builders; $240 million settlement
- Successfully mediated condominium conversion claims in California and Nevada involving claims of breach of contract, fraudulent misrepresentation and construction defect
- Successfully mediated dispute between prime contractor and sub-contractors, including insurance carriers and governmental entities regarding delayed construction of Travis Air Force Base Officers’ Quarters due to various construction defects and plumbing leaks
- Successfully mediated disputes regarding breach of contract/delay claims followed by counter claims for construction defect involving numerous prime and sub-contractors on such projects as:
- Sawyer State Office Building in Law Vegas, Nevada
- Lied Library at University of Nevada at Las Vegas
- U.S. Veterans Retirement Center in Las Vegas, Nevada
- McCarran Airport Parking Garage, Las Vegas, Nevada
- Successfully mediated multiple class actions involving defective aluminum window and door products involving over 200,000 single- family homes in California
- Successfully mediated breach of contract claim and delay claims between prime contractor and governmental entities regarding construction of waste treatment facility
- Successfully mediated settlement dispute between owner of a public housing project and prime/sub-contractors over failed publicly funded retrofit in San Francisco, California
- Successfully mediated class action with infrastructure issues related to underground plumbing leaks in 3,800 single-family homes in Las Vegas, Nevada resulting in a $21.5 million settlement
- Successfully mediated dispute regarding construction of Nevada state water retention pond with polymer lining for breach of contract and counter claims for defective workmanship
- Successfully mediated infrastructure dispute regarding installation and subsequent collapse of Sony Jumbotron scoreboard at Anaheim Stadium
- Successfully mediated first complex high-rise hotel/condominium project in Las Vegas
- Successfully resolved dispute between general contractor and Georgia State Department of Transportation regarding breach of contract over construction of 50 mile beltway (280) circumventing City of Atlanta
- Successfully settled breach of contract claim between U.S. Dept. of Transportation and prime contractor regarding construction of 17 miles of new federal highway north of Albuquerque, New Mexico