Thomas I. Elkind, Esq. has worked throughout his career to resolve construction cases, representing owners, contractors, architects, engineers, sureties and lenders in a wide variety of matters. As a mediator, Mr. Elkind is dedicated to working with the parties for as long as the parties are willing to try to find solutions to their disputes. He is persistent, detail-oriented and follows through to keep the process going after the parties appear to have reached an impasse, even if that means continuing to engage with the parties after the mediation session has concluded.
Mr. Elkind is a trained mediator, arbitrator and former litigator who has been resolving disputes in commercial litigation cases since 1978. As a litigator he historically resolved most of his clients’ cases through strategic negotiation or mediation but also argued successfully before the Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court in a number of cases. Mr. Elkind previously chaired the Boston office litigation department and the construction practice at two prestigious law firms.
With his dedication and commitment to dispute resolution Mr. Elkind earned a reputation as a quality litigator and trusted mediator/ arbitrator. He has extensive experience in the construction, employment, financial and real property industries. His arbitration experience also includes cases involving commercial contracts, professional liability and trade secrets.
Mr. Elkind brings the same strong level of commitment to JAMS, as he has had throughout his career, to assist disputing parties in resolving conflict. As an ADR professional, Mr. Elkind feels an obligation to thoroughly understand all aspects of the case and to provide a bridge of communication to all parties involved.
- Mediated dispute between a debtor and a creditor in an adversary proceeding
- Mediated dispute between contractor and home owner regarding reconstruction of water-damaged home
- Arbitrated dispute between general contractor and owner regarding addition to a single family home
- Mediated dispute between general contractor and public agency over change orders requested by contractor
- Arbitrated dispute involving amount owed to general contractor
- Mediated dispute between gas company and contractor regarding damage to gas line
- Represented steel fabricator in a multi-party mediation regarding the failure of structural steel beams in a high-rise office building
- Negotiated global settlement of 23 separate claims by a telephone company against a steam distributor for damage to underground telephone cables
- Real Property
- Mediated dispute regarding public bidding for gas station lease at Martha's Vineyard airport
- Mediated dispute between landlord and tenant regarding commercial property at Boston Shipyard
- Represented real estate brokers in many mediations to resolve claims involving unfair and deceptive practices under Chapter 93A
- Mediated numerous landlord/tenant disputes in Quincy District Court
- Represented a real estate developer in an arbitration against his partners