Randi S. Ellis, Esq., brought her alternative dispute resolution (ADR) practice to JAMS in Houston in 2021, following over 10 years of independent, full-time ADR practice. Ms. Ellis is known nationwide for assisting parties in resolving complex civil disputes. She has worked on some of the most reported settlements in the country in the areas of mass and class actions, toxic torts and products liability.
Federal and state courts routinely appoint Ms. Ellis as a special master, settlement master, mediator or neutral to facilitate settlement and then oversee the matter through the distribution of proceeds and to final dismissal. Parties trust Ms. Ellis with settlements requiring court approval, and she is adept at complex allocation determinations between multiple claimants or firms.
Parties value Ms. Ellis for her dedication, as she works tirelessly to resolve conflicts that arise before, during and after settlement.
Ms. Ellis has served as special master in matters involving:
- Allocation of settlement funds to class/mass action claimants, including development and implementation of methodology
- Report and recommendations to the court on special assignments
- Final and non-appealable rulings on disputes and settlements by agreement of the parties
- Case management from the beginning of the matter through the end or single issue for resolution
- Reviewing reasonableness of attorneys’ fees and expenses, including resolution of common benefit fund issues
- Pharmaceutical, personal injury and property damage class and mass actions
Special Master, Mediation, Arbitration and Settlement Allocation Assignments
- In re: Paraquat Products Liability Litigation, MDL No. 3004 (S.D. Ill. J.P.M.L.): Court-appointed special master to establish discovery protocols and schedule, maintain a database for claims in the MDL and state courts, propose a methodology for selection of trial cases and establish a framework for submission of common benefit time and expenses pertaining to litigation concerning injuries caused by exposure to the herbicide paraquat
- In re: National Prescription Opiate Litigation, MDL No. 2804 (N.D. Oh. J.P.M.L.): Court-appointed arbiter to a fee panel to oversee a process for allocation and distribution of the MDL contingency fee fund and the common benefit fund consistent with the terms of the settlement agreements between certain parties for fees and expenses incurred in furtherance of the opioid litigation
- In re: Testosterone Replacement Therapy Litigation, MDL No. 2545 (N.D. Ill. J.P.M.L.) Court-appointed settlement master for mediation and allocation concerning products liability claims alleging arterial cardiovascular injuries or injuries related to blood clots in the veins as a result of taking prescription testosterone replacement therapy drugs
- In re: Sorin 3T Heater-Cooler System Products Liability Litigation, MDL 2816 (M.D. Pa. J.P.M.L.): Court-appointed settlement master for allocation of personal injury claims alleging serious infections and deaths following invasive surgeries
- In re: Pradaxa (Dabigatran Etexilate) Products Liability Litigation, MDL No. 2385 (S.D. Ill. J.P.M.L.): Court-appointed special master for mediation and allocation; allocated $650-million settlement fund to claimants alleging injuries related to anticoagulant pharmaceutical use; mediated and allocated MDL common benefit fees and expenses; mediator and allocated state court settlements for Connecticut and California
- In re: Coloplast Corp. Pelvic Support Systems Products Liability Litigation (Vaginal Mesh), MDL No. 2387 (S.D. W.Va. J.P.M.L.): Court-appointed mediator concerning products liability claims arising out of vaginal mesh use; court-appointed special master to allocate aggregate settlement funds for claims against American Medical Services, Boston Scientific, CR Bard, Covidien, Ethicon and Mentor
Other Federal Court Litigation
- Mass Depakote Litigation, 12-cv-52, etc. (S.D. Ill.): Court-appointed mediator and special master for settlement and allocation of claims alleging birth defects arising out of pharmaceutical use
- Hale, et al. v. State Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance Company, et al., 3:12-cv-660 (S.D. Ill.): Court-appointed mediator in 4.7-million-member class action alleging violations of the Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act and deprivation of an impartial forum
- Suchanek, et al. v. Strum Foods, Inc., et al., 3:11-cv-565 (S.D. Ill.): Court-appointed mediator to resolve and allocate attorneys’ fees dispute in class action settlement alleging consumer fraud and unjust enrichment
- Medtronic Infuse Litigation (multiple jurisdictions): Mediator for products liability claims arising out of bone graft product use, as well as court-appointed special master for allocation of an aggregate settlement fund
- McClurg, et al. v. Mallinckrodt, Inc., et al., 4:12-cv-00361 (E.D. Mo.): Court-appointed mediator and special master for settlement and allocation for consolidated actions seeking damages for injuries allegedly sustained as a result of multiple decades of exposure to hazardous, toxic and radioactive substances
- In re: Just for Men® Mass Tort Litigation, 3:16-cv-00638 (S.D. Ill.): Court-appointed mediator facilitator and special master for settlement and allocation for mass action involving claimants alleging adverse reactions and personal injuries suffered from product use