Hon. Deborah Fleck (Ret.) has a wealth of experience in Family Law dispute resolution. She is well known for her ability to recognize when cases are ripe for settlement and has a reputation for helping parties achieve resolution, even in stressful and emotionally charged situations that occur in family law disputes.
As a neutral, Judge Fleck has handled numerous family law cases involving issues of asset division, spousal support and parenting plans. As a judge, she handled family law cases and served as Chief Judge of the Regional Justice Center and Chief Judge of the Unified Family Court which resulted in the implementation of Early Resolution Case Manager attorneys providing a Family Law Orientation to pro se parties, followed by on-site mediation for cases not settled prior to trial. Prior to her 21 years of service as a judge, Judge Fleck practiced law for 16 years, representing men and women in cases involving business, real property, stock options and retirement plan characterization and valuation, debt allocation, parenting plans, as well as issues of spousal maintenance and child support among other issues.
Judge Fleck is highly respected by lawyers and her judicial colleagues for her work ethic, fairness and intellect. She is also held in high regard among colleagues on the bench and in the bar for her hard work, tenacity and commitment to improving the justice system in Washington State. Judge Fleck’s leadership on race and justice issues, issues involving families and children including establishing mediation programs, initiating the Justice in Jeopardy Initiative successfully improving trial court funding by the state, and public education about access to the justice system are some of the highlights of her judicial career.
- Mediated and settled issues of parenting, child support, property, stock value and distribution, and spousal maintenance; some matters involved a self-employed party, an executive in a start-up, a highly paid tech employee, a disabled party, parties who immigrated to the United States, allegations of substance abuse and domestic violence and financial assets ranging from multi-million dollar estates to those with limited assets
- Arbitrated cases regarding final parenting plans and child support
- Arbitrated a complex post dissolution educational issue with racial and cultural issues involved in where a young child would attend school
- Arbitrated parenting plan and child support between biological mother and adoptive mother. Case involved allegations of substance abuse and anger issues
- Mediated matter involving parenting issues of young children that included sensitive issues related to abuse and restraining orders
- Mediated dissolution of a long term marriage involving property and spousal maintenance where one party was self-employed and the other was permanently disabled
- Mediated dissolution of marriage matters with multi- million dollar estates involving real property, stocks and other assets, child support and parenting plans. One case involved a party having an executive position with a start-up.
- Mediated case involving marriage dissolution filed out of state with minimal assets combined with high earnings for one party and multiple children, some of whom were minors and some of whom were disabled
- Sensitive mediation of parenting plan for a toddler that involved allegations of sexual abuse
- Mediation of parenting plan where one party’s relationship with the teenage child was disrupted; assisted the parties in developing a reunification plan
- At trial, in settlement conferences and in practice, handled cases involving spousal maintenance, child support, disputed property characterization, valuation and division, including small business valuation, professional practice valuation, stock options, retirement benefits, and public entitlements as well as debt, tax, bankruptcy, discovery issues and attorneys’ fees
- At trial, in settlement conferences and in practice, handled highly contested parenting plans, parenting plan modifications and non-parental custody cases involving issues of substance and alcohol abuse, sex abuse, mental and emotional abuse, domestic violence, mental health issues, manipulation of children, relocation, and cases subject to the Hague Convention
- Presided over a case brought several years after dissolution of marriage involving failure to disclose interest in a multimillion dollar start-up
- Presided over a post dissolution case involving claims of failure to disclose and securities fraud involving a major tech firm