Judge Geernaert specializes in organizing and resolving complex, multi-party construction defect cases. His experience and effectiveness in construction defect cases led to his appointment to the LA Superior Court Ad Hoc Committee on Multi-Party Construction Defect Litigation. The committee prepared the "Manual on Multi-Party Construction Defect Litigation" including Case Management Order published for the assistance of trial judges and attorneys (copy available upon request). He worked in the construction industry in various capacities including Job Superintendent and Assistant to Civil Engineer/Estimator in preparation of Plans, Specifications and Bids. Also, as an attorney, he handled construction defect cases and government contract claims. As a judge, he presided over many construction defect cases and gained expertise in the various issues involved in construction defect cases, including insurance coverage, indemnity claims, experts and extraordinary remedies.
Note: In providing representative cases, only generic information is disclosed in recognition of the confidential nature of mediations and arbitrations. Substantially all the claims in the cases below were mediated to a resolution.
- 67-Space Mobile Home Park claim against a city for flood damage/easement overburdening
- Action by 30 homeowners for construction/design defects
- Claims by the owners of custom homes against general contractors, subcontractors and architects/engineers for construction design defects
- Golf course suit regarding construction defect in drainage system
- Highway construction defect claim by a city against contractor
- Insurance coverage claims in Declaratory Relief actions concerning construction defect underlying cases
- Large condominium projects damaged in Northridge Earthquake (250 plus units)