Judge Geernaert has extensive experience in cases involving employment-related claims, including wrongful termination, denial of promotion, harassment and discrimination in employment matters.
In the private sector, he served as Executive Vice President of Avis Rent-a-Car licensee and Grey Line Sightseeing (covering Southern California, Las Vegas and Washington, D.C.). He oversaw operations, marketing, sales, finance and personnel.
As a private attorney, he had extensive experience in negotiating settlements under the National Labor Relations Act. This experience further honed his negotiating skills and sensitivity, which he finds useful as a mediator.
As a private mediator/arbitrator in business, commercial and financial disputes involving accounting questions, he utilizes a tripartite approach modified to suit the particular case. First, he facilitates as full a communication as possible between the parties through their attorneys and experts (accountants or CPAs). Second, he utilizes his extensive experience in business, commercial and financial matters to separately evaluate the prospects of each party if no settlement were to be reached. Third, he assists in negotiations utilizing his experience and knowledge of successful bargaining techniques and avoiding pitfalls that might prevent a settlement that would otherwise be possible.
Note: In providing representative cases, only generic information is disclosed in recognition of the confidential nature of mediations and arbitrations.
- A case involving a constructive discharge claim against a national drugstore chain; settled
- A wrongful discharge claim by a female accountant based on allegations of retaliations for objections to the CEO's sexual comments and suggestions; settled
- A wrongful termination case involving an on-air celebrity claiming discrimination against a Los Angeles television broadcast station
- A wrongful termination claim by a teacher against a Unified School District; settled
- Two wrongful termination cases; settled
- Wrongful termination charges against a major national retailer