Judge Geernaert is experienced in resolving cases involving disputes concerning estates, trusts, probate and family.
As a trial judge sitting in the Los Angeles Superior Court and as Supervising Judge of the Writs and Receivers and Law and Motion Departments for three years, Judge Geernaert dealt with a broad range of real estate issues and remedies. He also served as a full mediation/settlement officer for 5 years.
In the private sector, he served as Executive Vice President of Avis Rent-a-Car licensee and Grey Line Sightseeing (covering Southern California, Las Vegas and Washington, D.C.) overseeing operations, sales, finance and personnel.
As a private mediator/arbitrator in business, commercial and financial disputes involving accounting questions, he utilizes a tripartite approach modified to suit the particular case. First, he facilitates as full a communication as possible between the parties through their attorneys and experts (accountants or CPAs). Second, he utilizes his extensive experience in business, commercial and financial matters to separately evaluate the prospects of each party if no settlement were to be reached. Third, he assists in negotiations utilizing his experience and knowledge of successful bargaining techniques and avoiding pitfalls that might prevent a settlement that would otherwise be possible.
Note: Generic information is disclosed below in recognition of the confidential nature of mediations and arbitrations.
- A case involving a breach of a lease of several floors of a major Los Angeles office building between one of the largest law firms in the world (as tenant) and one of the largest financial institutions in the world (as owner/landlord)
- Many cases involving real estate appraisal issues
- Mediation between a city and a large mobile home park involving easements and rights of way
- Mediation of a dispute between a large shopping center developer and a major food chain concerning environmental claims. Negotiation of complex settlement agreement.
- Mediation of many other disputes involving: listing agreements, purchase and sale agreements, real estate commissions and escrow instructions including negotiation and supervision of closing instructions, and complex lease purchase disputes