Hon. Michael B. Getty (Ret.)
a full-time arbitrator with JAMS since 2000, is a proven and highly-respected leader in the field of Alternative Dispute Resolution. His skill in resolving even the most complex and/or emotional conflicts is recognized locally, nationally, and internationally by legal and business communities alike.
Judge Getty’s many years as a Chancery Court Judge, hearing a multitude of difficult and complicated matters, has honed his ability to conduct his cases expeditiously with knowledge, skill, and integrity. With care and concern, Judge Getty is swift but thorough in his preparation and ability to discover, crystallize, and work through issues to achieve positive results for the Parties, consistently saving the Parties costs and time.
As a dedicated supporter of ADR, Judge Getty is considered an authority in the field, and he lectures globally on its efficacy. Additionally, he has served as an advisor to the United States Department of State Delegation to UNCITRAL, as a negotiator on behalf of the United States to implement conciliation rules for resolving international trade disagreements, and as chair of the Drafting Committee for the Uniform Mediation Act.
- Agribusiness: Resolved multi-party case involving over 20 farming operations
- Arbitration: Arbitrated $40 million multi-claim/cross dispute between 2 major corporations
- Banking: Resolved class action against a banking corporation regarding the imposition of claimed unnecessary charges
- Business/Commercial/Partnership: Resolved numerous sale, merger, and dissolution disputes involving companies/professional firms, including mediated settlement of an emotionally-charged acquisition dispute that involved close family members
- Class Action: Settled class action on behalf of minority limited partners and the general partner of a major multi-state real estate development company
- Construction: Resolved acrimonious five year, multi-party condo dispute and settled the matter in 2 days
- Educational/Schools: Resolved multiple cases involving School Boards and rights of children and their parents to access education
- Employment: Resolved numerous executive terminations, often with other complicated cross-complaints; resolved contentious sexual harassment matter with both parties at peace with the settlement
- Estates, Probate, and Trusts: Resolved multi-party cases, including one where heirs and beneficiaries of multiple trusts had litigated for many years over a transportation company, commercial and residential real estate, and other businesses
- Franchise: Resolved heated dispute between a major franchiser and 30 national franchisees, resulting in a new franchise agreement and resolution of three federal court cases
- Governmental/Public Agency: Resolved highly-charged matter involving over 70 citizen, governmental, and special-interest groups mediating to settlement in 3 months of intense negotiations
- Insurance: Resolved "first impression" multi-million-dollar policy coverage dispute with a complex formula that considered risk of loss to each participant
- Intellectual Property: Resolved claims and cross-claims involving competing software companies and highly confidential trade secrets
- International: Resolved dispute between a Russian company and a U.S. subsidiary of an Indian corporation involving computer chips
- Personal Injury/Tort: Resolved claims arising from serious injury to claimant in a department store resulting from injuries caused by their contractor/subcontractors
- Professional Liability/Malpractice: Resolved numerous matters involving accountants, doctors, and lawyers
- Real Estate: Resolved percentage of interest dispute between former partners who, to settle the case, agreed to donate claimed amounts to each other’s favorite charity
- Securities: Resolved disputes between claimants of securities and the issuing company concerning assignment provisions executed before the death of the original owner
- Surety: Settled dispute involving the former officer and director of a corporation and his alleged mismanagement of the corporation's profit-sharing plan
- Utilities: Resolved dispute between public utilities and privately held companies utilizing their services