Michael Getty, a full-time mediator and arbitrator with JAMS since 2000, is a proven and highly-respected leader in the field of Alternative Dispute Resolution. His skill in resolving even the most complex and/or emotional conflicts is recognized locally, nationally, and internationally by legal and business communities alike.
Judge Getty’s many years as a Chancery Court Judge allowed him to hear a multitude of difficult and complicated matters, as well as hone his ability to conduct cases expeditiously with knowledge, skill, and integrity. With care and concern, Judge Getty is swift but thorough in his preparation and ability to discover, crystallize, and work through issues to achieve positive results for the Parties, which consistently results in saved costs and time.
As a dedicated supporter of ADR, Judge Getty is considered an authority in the field, and lectures globally on its efficacy. Additionally, he has served as an advisor to the United States Department of State Delegation to UNCITRAL, as a negotiator on behalf of the United States to implement conciliation rules for resolving international trade disagreements, and as chair of the Drafting Committee for the Uniform Mediation Act.
- Adjudicator for a matter involving the application of the “res judicata” doctrine in a dispute between two major corporations following issuance of releases as part of a class action
- Chair for the arbitration panel for a dispute between a major automobile manufacturer and one of its high-volume dealers
- Claims adjudicator for hundreds of claims based on alleged historical discrimination by the Department of Agriculture against African American farmers (Pigford v. U.S. Department of Agriculture)
- Neutral chair of an arbitration panel for a dispute over retirement benefits of an officer of a nationally-known corporation
- Sole arbitrator for $40 million multi-claim/cross dispute between two major corporations
- Sole arbitrator for a dispute between large medical practice and its major national bank over multi-million dollar financing of the practice and construction of a new medical office complex
- Sole arbitrator for a dispute involving a CEO termination and contract/severance disputes
- Sole arbitrator for a matter involving a landlord failing to comply with health safety requirements of the municipality when constructing a new facility for the tenant with a cross-complaint for tenant failure to pay for extras
- Sole arbitrator for a matter involving the sale of business and intellectual properties used in internet financial businesses with a cross-claim for wrongful termination
- Sole arbitrator for a multi-party dispute regarding the interpretation of an asset purchase agreement and interpretation of a settlement agreement from a prior dispute of alleged patent infringement and other, numerous breaches of contract
- Sole arbitrator of a dispute between a major telephone and internet service provider and a high speed internet service provider