Michael Getty, a full-time mediator and arbitrator with JAMS since 2000, is a proven and highly-respected leader in the field of Alternative Dispute Resolution. His skill in resolving even the most complex and/or emotional conflicts is recognized locally, nationally, and internationally by legal and business communities alike.
Judge Getty’s many years as a Chancery Court Judge allowed him to hear a multitude of difficult and complicated matters, as well as hone his ability to conduct cases expeditiously with knowledge, skill, and integrity. With care and concern, Judge Getty is swift but thorough in his preparation and ability to discover, crystallize, and work through issues to achieve positive results for the Parties, which consistently results in saved costs and time.
As a dedicated supporter of ADR, Judge Getty is considered an authority in the field, and lectures globally on its efficacy. Additionally, he has served as an advisor to the United States Department of State Delegation to UNCITRAL, as a negotiator on behalf of the United States to implement conciliation rules for resolving international trade disagreements, and as chair of the Drafting Committee for the Uniform Mediation Act.
- Office of the Illinois Attorney General, Gladys M. Stevens
- Assisted a financial institution and a collector of antique vehicles in resolving a dispute
- Assisted related partners in a multimillion-dollar company establish a fair "business divorce"
- Assisted the parties in resolving a dispute between multiple-unit owners and the Board of Directors over alleged disturbances and invasion of privacy
- Assisted the parties in settling a dispute over multimillion-dollar, specially fabricated production equipment; established a protocol for determining compliance with the contractual agreement of the parties
- Assisted two banking institutions in resolving responsibility for accepting documents which defrauded an estate
- Resolved "escalation clauses" and "square footage" issues between a large utility and the owners of real estate leased by the utility on a long-term basis
- Resolved a disagreement between partners of a real estate marketing company concerning the sale of all remaining assets of the Company and contingent commissions, and liens for services performed
- Resolved a dispute between a specialty vacation package/promotion company and an international manufacturing company over damages following cancellation of a promotional vacation program
- Resolved a dispute between surviving beneficiaries of a land trust over disposition of all real estate
- Resolved a dispute between the Board of Directors and owners of a condominium unit over fines assessed against a unit owner for noncompliance
- Resolved a lease dispute including cross-complaint over a major long-term office building lease regarding: rights to expand; effect of building code violations; rent per square foot on renewal; and rights to sublease to a related entity
- Resolved dispute between a minority shareholder/owner/operator of a highly acclaimed restaurant and the control group of a multiple restaurant chain
- Resolved dispute between a travel agency and its marketing partner over rights to a unique, exotic, high-end vacation program and the confidentially developed list of former participants and prospective customers
- Resolved disputes between partners in a real-estate development company over responsibility for claims of faulty construction by third parties, and reached agreement on relative interest in the remaining properties
- Settled a dispute between a mutual fund investment company and a professional alleged to have failed to disclose certain information to the client
- Settled a dispute between owners of a news reporting entity over corporate structure and real estate holdings upon the death of the founder
- Settled a dispute between partners in a real estate holding company, some of whom were also tenants operating a private construction and manufacturing business
- Settled disagreement between a disabled claimant and an insurance carrier over benefits due under a disability policy, and determined whether the disability should be treated as permanent or temporary
- Settled dispute between a condominium association and a unit owner over alleged violations of condominium association rules concerning pets
- Settled disputes between minority shareholder/employee and his former corporate employer over a "non-compete" clause and his rights under a buyout agreement
- Settled disputes between owners of a small corporation over rights and duties of a departing one-third owner/employee to: stock; liability for personal guarantee on notes; bonus; consulting agreement; nondisclosure of intellectual property; and rights under a non-compete clause