Michael Getty, a full-time mediator and arbitrator with JAMS since 2000, is a proven and highly-respected leader in the field of Alternative Dispute Resolution. His skill in resolving even the most complex and/or emotional conflicts is recognized locally, nationally, and internationally by legal and business communities alike.
Judge Getty’s many years as a Chancery Court Judge allowed him to hear a multitude of difficult and complicated matters, as well as hone his ability to conduct cases expeditiously with knowledge, skill, and integrity. With care and concern, Judge Getty is swift but thorough in his preparation and ability to discover, crystallize, and work through issues to achieve positive results for the Parties, which consistently results in saved costs and time.
As a dedicated supporter of ADR, Judge Getty is considered an authority in the field, and lectures globally on its efficacy. Additionally, he has served as an advisor to the United States Department of State Delegation to UNCITRAL, as a negotiator on behalf of the United States to implement conciliation rules for resolving international trade disagreements, and as chair of the Drafting Committee for the Uniform Mediation Act.
- Assisted the parties in a dispute over alleged violations of a non-compete agreement between an employee and her employer who paid for this foreign national/employee's transportation from Europe, her initial lodging, and her expenses
- Assisted the parties in resolving a dispute over the rights of a disabled employee who worked from her home and had previously sold her independent business to the defendant/employer
- Resolved a dispute over a non-compete clause and the departing employee's rights to socialize with the employees of competing companies, and the affect of incidental or accidental contact with former customers
- Resolved a dispute over alleged unconscionable agreements for personal services
- Resolved disputes between an employee and his employer/corporation over his rights on retirement to severance pay, and participation in a profit-sharing plan over which he was a trustee
- Settled a dispute between a mutual fund investment company and a professional employed to audit certain records, who was alleged to have failed to disclose certain information to the client
- Settled a dispute between two ophthalmologists concerning the departing doctor's rights under a profit-sharing agreement, and to practice within specified geographic locations and at specified hospitals
- Settled a dispute over the breakup of a law office, which spawned controversy over the relative interests of the partners in the many cases handled by individual partners for the firm, and the responsibility for payment of associates of the firm for work that they had completed, but for which payment had not yet been received
- Settled a dispute over the obligations and rights among a medical group and its surgical assistants relative to a contractual retainer agreement
- Settled disputes between a "market maker" and an employer/broker and their insurance carrier over rights to disability after "market maker" developed job-related allergies
- Settled disputes between a law firm and a contractual employee/attorney over fees for cases handled by the employee/attorney
- Settled disputes between a minority shareholder/employee and his former corporate employer over a "non-compete" clause and his rights under a buyout agreement
- Settled disputes between an orthopedic surgeon and his medical service employer concerning stock options and the alleged violation of an employment agreement