Michael Getty, a full-time mediator and arbitrator with JAMS since 2000, is a proven and highly-respected leader in the field of Alternative Dispute Resolution. His skill in resolving even the most complex and/or emotional conflicts is recognized locally, nationally, and internationally by legal and business communities alike.
Judge Getty’s many years as a Chancery Court Judge allowed him to hear a multitude of difficult and complicated matters, as well as hone his ability to conduct cases expeditiously with knowledge, skill, and integrity. With care and concern, Judge Getty is swift but thorough in his preparation and ability to discover, crystallize, and work through issues to achieve positive results for the Parties, which consistently results in saved costs and time.
As a dedicated supporter of ADR, Judge Getty is considered an authority in the field, and lectures globally on its efficacy. Additionally, he has served as an advisor to the United States Department of State Delegation to UNCITRAL, as a negotiator on behalf of the United States to implement conciliation rules for resolving international trade disagreements, and as chair of the Drafting Committee for the Uniform Mediation Act.
- Assisted government agencies, pharmaceutical manufacturers, and interested citizens' groups in resolving contractual and other related disputes over the re-scheduling of generic drugs
- Assisted government agencies, teachers, school administrators, and interested citizens in temporarily resolving teacher certification issues while further study is on going during pending related litigation
- Assisted several government agencies and citizens groups in working out a protocol for dealing with predatory lenders, including detailed administrative rules to be adopted by state agencies and procedures for immediate notification of appropriate law enforcement officials
- Helped parties to resolve a dispute between a governmental entity and a builder of new subdivision over engineering and contractual obligations, including the duty to repair and maintain roadways after dedication to government entity
- Mediated a claim against governmental entity for wrongful termination of employment contract and resulting damages, and resolved cases which were pending in both federal and state courts
- Resolved a dispute between a municipality and a church located in that municipality for over 25 years; the matter concerned the church's right to construct a new church building at a different site, which technically violated zoning but was consistent with 50 years of municipal custom of permitting such violations without a variance
- Resolved a dispute between the bilingual teachers and the State Board of Education over rights to teach based upon previously issued teaching certificates after a legislative enactment requiring the State Board of Education to adopt different requirements
- Resolved a dispute over extent of responsibility of present corporate owner and the fines to be imposed concerning a governmental civil prosecution of an environmental claim
- Resolved a dispute, including contractual claims, among a government agency, a not-for-profit youth center and a not-for-profit youth organization over rights to property both real and personal of a now-defunct association
- Resolved contractual dispute between quasi-governmental agency and private contractor regarding schedules of production of hi-tech computer chips
- Settled a multiple party dispute including two governmental agencies over a unique licensed carriage service in a high-end area where investors both public and private were needed; the rights of a developer, who acquired the financial interest from a now-defunct state regulated company, where fraud and violation of contractual obligation was alleged were determined and settled