Michael Getty, a full-time mediator and arbitrator with JAMS since 2000, is a proven and highly-respected leader in the field of Alternative Dispute Resolution. His skill in resolving even the most complex and/or emotional conflicts is recognized locally, nationally, and internationally by legal and business communities alike.
Judge Getty’s many years as a Chancery Court Judge allowed him to hear a multitude of difficult and complicated matters, as well as hone his ability to conduct cases expeditiously with knowledge, skill, and integrity. With care and concern, Judge Getty is swift but thorough in his preparation and ability to discover, crystallize, and work through issues to achieve positive results for the Parties, which consistently results in saved costs and time.
As a dedicated supporter of ADR, Judge Getty is considered an authority in the field, and lectures globally on its efficacy. Additionally, he has served as an advisor to the United States Department of State Delegation to UNCITRAL, as a negotiator on behalf of the United States to implement conciliation rules for resolving international trade disagreements, and as chair of the Drafting Committee for the Uniform Mediation Act.
- Assisted the resolution of a dispute between minority shareholders and the control group of a trucking company
- Assisted the resolution of a dispute over buyout/merger and residual personal obligations of remaining and departing shareholders
- Mediated and settled a dispute between a floor trader/market maker and a corporation following his retirement from active trading
- Mediated and settled a dispute between a securities dealer and his attorney over settlement of a claim
- Resolved a class action against a banking corporation regarding the imposition of claimed unnecessary charges
- Resolved a derivative action by a minority shareholder, former officer, and director alleging mismanagement and failure to pay dividends
- Resolved a dispute between a minority shareholder and the control group of a restaurant chain
- Resolved a dispute between claimants of securities and the issuing company concerning assignment provisions executed before the death of the original owner
- Settled a class action on behalf of minority limited partners and the general partner of a major multi-state real estate development company
- Settled a dispute among limited partners, the general partner and a third party involving an option exchange
- Settled a dispute among three interlocking corporations after the death of the founder; allegations of fraud and concealment of assets had been made, and the holdings included real estate and other business activities
- Settled a dispute between minority and majority shareholders over future investment policy, and failure to dispose of stock in accordance with the shareholder agreement
- Settled a dispute between minority owners and the control group of a radio station with allegations of fraud in its management
- Settled a dispute between the general partners and the limited partners of a corporation on the formula of a cash call, and the rights to purchase shares of defaulting partners
- Settled a dispute involving the former officer and director of a corporation and his alleged mismanagement of the corporation's profit-sharing plan
- Settled a dispute over fees following a successful class action on behalf of the limited partners of a development corporation against the general partner