Kenneth C. Gibbs, Esq. is one of the leading construction neutrals in the United States with an expertise in mediating and arbitrating international construction, real estate, insurance, surety, and business disputes involving major commercial projects. He is well known for his ability to establish great rapport with clients and for his persistence in bringing parties together, which have included clients based in North and South America, Europe, Asia and the Middle East. He gives his undivided attention to resolving each case, a requisite to resolving particularly complex, multi-party disputes.
Recognized by the legal publication Chambers USA as a "construction law guru" and “a leading figure in the field of mediation,” Ken Gibbs has been awarded with its highest level ranking of “Band 1” for construction. He understands the financial, political, and other pressures facing the parties in construction and infrastructure disputes, and quickly assesses the strengths, weaknesses, and nuances of a case.
- Breach of contract matter involving alleged defective construction work performed by British-based construction company for California public school district
- Claims between British-based construction company and public transportation department involving lost productivity and road-lane closure penalties
- Dispute between construction joint venture, consisting of global Japanese construction company and American mechanical firm, and United States-based public utility
- Dispute involving cost overrun claims in construction of gold mine in Mexico
- Matter involving American contractor’s claims against Iraqi subcontractor over allegedly defective construction of police training barracks
- Mediated $10 million (USD) builders’ risk insurance claim against several European insurance carriers
- Mediated dispute between American-Japanese joint construction venture and U.S.-based public utility company over utility’s withholding of $3.5 million (USD) for purported defective work and alleged liquidated damages
- Mediated dispute between cruise line operator and Canadian marine architecture and engineering firm over whether design for cruise vessel structure met contractual obligations
- Mediated subcontractor claims against Japanese general contractor over failure to pay for materials and equipment supplied in construction project
- Mediation and arbitration of cross claims between architect and global engineering firm arising out of project consulting services
- Mediation involving delays and cost overruns regarding U.S.-based milk processing plant designed and constructed by European contractor
- Mediator for dispute between California city and subsidiary of European civil engineering firm
- Mediator for dispute between general contractor of major American power generating plant and Japanese turbine manufacturer