Judge Ashworth has over 29 years of judicial experience, including a distinguished 22 year career serving on the 86th Judicial District Court and five years sitting by assignment as a Senior District Judge. He is known for his ability to quickly grasp key issues and develop creative solutions for the resolution of the most complex matters. Widely recognized for his dedication and persistence in the most contentious disputes, Judge Ashworth has earned a reputation for fairness and independence.
Judge Ashworth has extensive experience in complex multi-party disputes in all areas of civil litigation including business, commercial, mortgage backed securities, catastrophic personal injury, wrongful death, professional negligence, real estate, construction defect, and family law.
Since joining JAMS, Judge Ashworth has served as arbitrator of cases including the following representative matters.
- Multi-week dispute between major oil and chemical companies regarding subrogation and contribution of damage claims and attorneys fees arising from national toxic tort class action
- Breach of contract and misuse of proprietary information claims brought between NBA team and former coach
- Construction defect, negligent construction, and breach of contract claims in large commercial projects, including shopping center, hospital, and manufacturing plant
- Multi-million dollar claims for breach of contract and breach of fiduciary duty arising from financing and development agreements for the research and development of a wireless personal security transmitter to be monitored both privately and by law-enforcement; issues included both technological and commercial feasibility of the product and its application
- Dissolution of law firms and apportionment of assets, incoming fees, work in progress, and tax liabilities
- Dispute between large agricultural grower and a wholesale provider
- Wrongful termination, age, sex, race, and religious discrimination, hostile work environment, and Civil Rights violations
- Reinsurance and breach of contract claims between large insurance companies
- Multi-million dollar reimbursement disputes between large metropolitan hospital and insurance companies
- Legal Malpractice
- Claims of negligence and breach of fiduciary duty brought against board certified trial attorney
- Apportionment of attorney’s fees in “tax shelter” class action against national law firm
- Lending Disputes
- Breach of contract dispute between large national bank and its corporate and individual borrowers
- Personal Injury
- Multi-week arbitration involving personal injuries to a driver of a national multi-line transport carrier and associated non-subscriber issues
- Amputation injury arising from warehouse accident
- Real Estate
- Disputes involving real estate syndications, management fees, and breach of contract/fiduciary duty claims between partners