Judge Ashworth has resolved a wide range of securities matters in his distinguished 29-year career as a District Judge, as a Senior District Judge, and as a mediator and arbitrator with JAMS. He is known for his preparation, knowledge of the law, and ability to grasp key issues quickly. Recognized for his efficient and impartial administration of even the most complex matters, he has earned a reputation for fairness and independence.
As a frequent author and speaker on securities matters, Judge Ashworth has focused on current, cutting-edge issues that are frequently the topic of related legal disputes. These include co-authoring the “Judicial Aspects of the Securitization Case” chapter in the Mortgage and Asset Backed Securities Litigation Handbook, Thompson West Publishing Company, 2008, chairing a recently published roundtable on “Securitization Litigation & The Debt Crisis: What’s on the Horizon?” and also co-moderating a JAMS in-house Financial Markets roundtable.
- Claim by bankruptcy trustee to recover from telecommunications company excess executive compensation
- Disputes arising out of the purchase and financing of a securitized portfolio of insurance agencies, involving securities law, contract claims, and insurance coverage issues
- Dissolution of law firms and apportionment of assets, incoming fees, work in progress, and tax liabilities
- Litigation between investor and IRS involving tax implications of billion dollar overseas distressed property portfolio
- Matter involving claims that management fee received under an Asset Management Agreement be increased to the prevailing market rate
- Minority stockholder oppression claims against large, privately held publishing company
- Multi-million dollar claim by individual investor against financial advisor/broker for failure to execute timely trades and breach of fiduciary duty regarding sale of options from bond fund
- Multi-million dollar claims for breach of contract and breach of fiduciary duty arising from financing and development agreements for the research and development of a wireless personal security transmitter; issues included a stock transfer/buyout
- Presided over all aspects of mortgage backed securities litigation between large national bank and an international investment firm involving real estate trusts with numerous issues, including breach of contract, due diligence, breach of representations and warranties, and bad faith claims
- Resolved cases involving “D&O” insurance coverage issues and related claims against corporate executives
- Various matters involving fraudulent lending practices, including claims against an enrolled actuary, broker dealer, and agent