Jerry Grissom has mediated the settlement of class actions. He has also arbitrated individual class claims in the context of class settlement agreements and court approved procedures for the adjudication of disputed issues in individual claims such as eligibility, qualification with criteria required by settlement, statute of limitations, causation, product identification, amount of damages, etc.
Mr. Grissom has mediated and arbitrated the resolution of hundreds of disputes in 20 states, in a broad range of subjects, size, and complexity. He brings to each case the know-how for resolving disputes acquired from 12 years of experience as a full-time neutral and 20 years of business and tort litigation practice with a respected Dallas law firm. A tenacious but gracious advocate for settlement, he is recognized as a “go to” mediator for the difficult case. Fair and independent, Mr. Grissom is frequently selected as sole arbitrator and on arbitration panels as member and chair. Parties and counsel alike have expressed high levels of satisfaction with his capable management of ADR proceedings.
Mr. Grissom is an elected Fellow of the College of Commercial Arbitrators and a member of CPR’s Distinguished Panel of Neutrals.
- Computers: defects and breach of warranty
- Mediated class action against laptop computer manufacturer for breach of warranty arising from claimed defects
- Mediated class action by Texas policyholders against automobile liability and underinsured/uninsured motorist insurance carrier on certain claims handling procedures which allegedly violated state insurance code and consumer protection act
- Mediated class action claim against healthcare insurer for refusal to honor claims for medical and hospitalization expenses and unilateral imposition of undisclosed and/or unauthorized fees
- Mediated class action claim against nonprofit corporation that sold health insurance to its members, alleging violations of the insurance codes, including claim that statements for insurance premiums contained hidden charges for membership dues and other fees
- Mediated policyholder class claim for underpayments of claims resulting from auto insurers’ use of software to adjust UM/UIM bodily injury claims
- Product liability / mass tort
- Asbestos toxic tort claims against asbestos containing product manufacturer in bankruptcy under court approved agreed settlement process for arbitration of disputed claims: arbitrated individual claims by building owners for remediation of property damage from asbestos containing materials; arbitrated claims for 100+ buildings
- Racial discrimination
- Class action claims for alleged racial discrimination in providing government loans and benefits: arbitrated 700+ individual claims after class certification and court approved procedure agreed to by the parties for adjudicating the merits of individual claims by arbitration
- Class action for racial discrimination in employment by national company; mediated settlement for numerous individual claims within class