Jerry Grissom has substantial experience in resolving professional liability disputes, both as a full-time panelist with JAMS, and previously as a trial lawyer. While in trial practice with a respected firm for 20 years, Mr. Grissom served as defense counsel for numerous legal and medical malpractice claims. He chaired his law firm’s professional negligence practice section and is also very knowledgeable about insurance coverage questions that often arise in the context of professional negligence claims. Mr. Grissom has facilitated and adjudicated the resolution of professional negligence claims in numerous areas.
Mr. Grissom has mediated and arbitrated the resolution of hundreds of disputes in 20 states, in a broad range of subjects, size, and complexity. He brings to each case the know-how for resolving disputes acquired from 12 years of experience as a full-time neutral and 20 years of business and tort litigation practice with a respected Dallas law firm. A tenacious but gracious advocate for settlement, he is recognized as a “go to” mediator for the difficult case. Fair and independent, Mr. Grissom is frequently selected as sole arbitrator and on arbitration panels as member and chair. Parties and counsel alike have expressed high levels of satisfaction with his capable management of ADR proceedings.
Mr. Grissom is an elected Fellow of the College of Commercial Arbitrators and a member of CPR’s Distinguished Panel of Neutrals.
- Accounting: Malpractice claim by stock purchasers of acquired company against national accounting firm for losses from alleged deficiencies in audited financial statements of stock issuing company
- Contract Administrator and Adjuster: “Adjuster malpractice” claim against workers compensation carrier and its contract administrator for handling and adjusting claims, involving claimed negligence in timely filing defenses, which resulted in waiver of meritorious defense of serious injury claim
- Engineering: Claims by building owner and builder that engineer’s negligent advice concerning proper preparation of ground and type of foundation for soil resulted in need to tear down commercial office building
- Insurance Consultants: “Consulting malpractice” claim by restaurant chain against national insurance consulting firm for damages resulting from its advice in establishing employee benefit plan without explaining alleged extent of financial consequences to employer
- “Enron” style legal malpractice claim by trustee in bankruptcy against law firm for enabling officer and director fraud with its corporative advice on structuring business, affiliated entities, and transactions, resulting in failure of company
- Claim by clients against trial counsel for negligence, breach of fiduciary duty, undisclosed conflicts, and failure to communicate settlement offers
- Legal malpractice and breach of fiduciary duty claim by client against law firm in handling litigation matter
- Claim for negligent advice recommending alleged wrongful use of intellectual property rights
- Claim for negligent advice in preparing and negotiating contract in broadcasting industry
- Claim for negligent advice in structuring business and affiliate corporations
- Medical: Claims for negligence in failure to diagnose, in prescribing or failing to prescribe medication, in failure to treat, in pre-surgical work up, in conducting surgery, in post-surgical management, in failing to order tests, in failure to obtain informed consent, involving injury, disability or death