Hon. Stephen E. Haberfeld (Ret.) brings a wealth of talent and accomplishment and more than 30 years of ADR or judicial experience to each IP engagement. He is a former U.S. Magistrate Judge of the U.S. District Court for the Central District of California and was an Assistant Watergate Special Prosecutor in Washington, D.C.
Judge Haberfeld has successfully mediated and arbitrated numerous intellectual property disputes -- including in entertainment and non-entertainment cases involving well-known trademarks and trade names. Judge Haberfeld has also been a featured speaker on intellectual property rights and ADR at copyright and patent legal symposia and other professional gatherings -- including before fellow experienced arbitrators and a renowned IP Department of a leading Southern California law firm. Judge Haberfeld has taught intellectual property rights and entertainment law at Pepperdine Law School.
Prior to joining JAMS, Judge Haberfeld was on the entertainment panels of other ADR organizations and remains on the Writers Guild of America's panel of arbitrators.
- Mediator of dispute between well-known actor and production company over co-ownership and value of co-ownership of copyright to hit network TV series
- Mediator and sole arbitrator of patent and trade secrets dispute over rights to processes involved in the manufacture of synthetic wood products
- Mediator of copyright infringement action against famous celebrity blogger's posting of famous musical celebrity's "single" in advance of release date
- Mediator of copyright and trademark dispute involving alleged infringements of internationally famous distilled spirits brand, bottle shape, and advertising campaign
- Mediator of copyright dispute over Internet texts of management and leadership lessons learned from episodes of hit network reality TV show
- Mediator of dispute concerning alleged misappropriation of concepts central to internationally famous director's theatrical motion picture production
- Mediator of dispute concerning commemorative miniature replicas of Wheaties boxes bearing picture of one of the most famous world heavyweight boxing champions
- Mediator of dispute concerning copyright, trademark, and trade dress violations alleged in connection with importation, marketing, and distribution of Chinese "knock-offs" of U.S. IP-protected and manufactured products
- Mediator of copyright dispute involving allegedly infringing use on babyware of a memorable line from a well-known movie
- Mediator of dispute concerning ownership of U.S. trademark for imported wines
- Mediator of dispute involving alleged infringements of distinctive copyrighted glassware
- Mediator of nationally reported court dispute between East Coast and West Coast organizations bearing similar names, famous for their nationally famous celebrity "roasts"
- Mediator of trademark disputes involving companies having essentially identical names and engaged in allegedly same, similar, or related business activities
- Member of three-person arbitration panel in dispute concerning contract termination and trademark infringement claims involving former manufacturer and distributor becoming competitors in marketing, distribution, and sale of automotive flushes and lubricants
- Sole arbitrator in dispute in which one side preliminarily enjoined from further use of slogan of competitive solar energy company
- Sole arbitrator of trademark, cybersquatting, and unfair competition dispute over source identification and marketing of highly specialized motion picture camera equipment