A full time mediator and arbitrator since opening the Chicago JAMS/ENDISPUTE office in 1982, Bill’s international practice includes the resolution of over 1,000 complex matters arising in 50 states and foreign countries, as well as appointments by federal and state judges in 10 states, co-mediations with a sitting federal judge and a variety of experts, and training for state, federal, and foreign governments in Asia and Eastern Europe.
Prior to 1982, he practiced law, concentrating on commercial, employment, and insurance related litigation, representing both plaintiffs and defendants.
Utility Industry Panels: Bill presently serves on and has received unique subject matter training provided by utility and consumer representatives.
- Cable Tower. Eight-party mediation involving the collapse of Cable Tower during construction
- Citizens Advisory Board. Service on and related training in connection with an appointment as a neutral citizen representative to advise a city as to the issues involved with providing its own electric power
- Electrical Outage/Brown Outs/Wheeling Power. Mediations to assess damages and allocate payments arising from outage situations relating to various kinds of service interruptions from grid issues to explosions
- Fuel Tanks and Containment Systems. 22 separate party representatives in one mediation involving a “state-of-the-art” fuel containment system contaminating multiple Midwest gas stations; and related fuel tank matters involving regional truck terminals and “tank yank” situations
- Hydroelectric Dam Failure. A series of mediations ascertaining and allocating responsibility arising from the failure of a hydroelectric dam and resulting downstream damage to other power facilities, businesses, and property
- Lock and Dam Project. Mediation involving the construction of the largest “dewatering” lock and dam project on an American River
- Nuclear Plant Disability. Mediation involving a nuclear plant worker and long-term disability issues
- Nuclear, Coal, Turbine, Recycled Wood, and Cogeneration Power Plants. Several complex construction mediations and arbitrations concerning private and public power, waste treatment, cogeneration, and remediation facilities involving multiple parties, hundreds of separate issues, eight-figure claims and counterclaims
- Oil Spill. Direct assistance, funded by the State Department and the USEPA, to two European governments providing mediation training to help resolve oil spill issues in international waters in the shadow of unsuccessful treaty negotiations
- Strategic Petroleum Reserve. Mediation of a matter of first impression regarding Strategic Petroleum Reserve oil stored in former Louisiana salt mines involving the DOE and the adjacent property owner
- Waste Water Treatment. A variety of mediations involving the operational problems, new construction, and upgrading of municipal facilities in several Midwestern states
- Wind Turbines. Various mediations to resolve disputes involving wind turbines in two states and an international manufacturer; as well as other matters involving problems with wind turbine operations