Lizbeth Hasse has been a mediator of complex, high-value commercial real estate cases for over 15 years. Ms. Hasse has brought to resolution an array of real estate matters including complex lease transactions, real estate development project disputes, sales and purchase agreements, real estate joint ventures, easements and loan agreements, broker-principal disputes, and architect-builder matters.
Ms. Hasse is known as a “settler” who perseveres to get results. Parties and counsel appreciate her deep knowledge and experience in this subject matter area, coupled with her tenacity and ability to relate well with all stakeholders.
As a litigator, Ms. Hasse handled numerous real estate and real property matters. She represented one of the largest owner-operators worldwide of commercial retail malls. Ms. Hasse was litigation counsel for construction disputes, including a multi-party action involving a major commercial high-rise project underway in San Francisco. She handled high-value broker negligence and breach of fiduciary duty claims in the sale and purchase of luxury residential structures and also acted as a consultant in designing the review of real estate loan packages in the subprime mortgage fraud cases relating to the savings and loan crisis.Representative Matters
- Mediated and arbitrated several disputes relating to long term leases and facilities agreements between large southern California university and a major medical institution
- Professional liability action involving negligence and alleged fraud in a complex real estate transaction for the purchase of a portfolio of a dozen shopping centers
- Complex action between Japanese and US investors and investment banks relating to fraud in real estate loan and leasing transactions by trustee for a major Japanese real estate investor
- Dispute between owner of a property contributed to a REIT and operator of the trust over disclosure, value, tax structure and covenant issues
- Legal malpractice relating to a forced purchase and sale that caused developer to lose opportunity for high resale to third party
- Mediated damages and related insurance coverage in large business interruption matter affecting value of commercial leases
- Class actions under FCRA for mortgage lenders offering loans to consumers based on pre-screening of credit reports
- Multi-district litigation (MDL) arising out of various agreements for loans to construct and develop casino resorts in Las Vegas and Florida
- Valuation of lease and assets and distribution of holdings in resolution of disputes between founders of successful development company
- Multiple disputes relating to toxic spills and related degradation of land by long terms leaseholders and sellers of real estate
- Property insurance investigation and coverage dispute relating to high-value residential real estate
- Mediated dispute between large residential developers over numerous covenants, contributions and return on investments.
- Arbitration of various disputes between owner-developer and large lessee of multiple commercial properties