Barrett Hawks, Esq.
is a nationally recognized expert in the resolution of complex energy matters, with substantial experience in helping to resolve multi-party conflicts. Following a 44-year career first as a litigator and then as a transactional attorney, Mr. Hawks has provided mediation, arbitration, and neutral analysis services since 2009. He has helped resolve numerous energy matters, both as an attorney and as head of Sutherland Asbill & Brennan LLP’s Energy and Environmental Practice Group, and as an ADR specialist. Mr. Hawks is a member of the JAMS Energy Panel
Notably, Mr. Hawks established a national group of lawyers to represent the interests of large power suppliers to electric cooperatives located throughout the United States. His success in achieving consensus among multiple stakeholders in this industry established his reputation as a pre-eminent legal resource. This invaluable experience informs his approach to mediation and arbitration of energy disputes. He has worked closely with CEOs, inside counsel, and boards of directors to design business-based solutions to help energy companies avoid or mitigate conflicts.
- Mediated under the CPR Rules claims of approximately $10 million challenging how the costs of capital improvements to a generating project, owned by a midwest utility, had been passed through to a long-term power purchaser
- Designed an ADR process and recommended an arbitrator to settle claims of over-charges of several million dollars under a long-term power purchase agreement
- Successfully negotiated many disputes and conflicts between joint owners of power plants involving cost allocations, scheduling, maintenance, and construction of improvements to jointly-owned power plants
- Served successfully as settlement counsel in a matter involving the allocation of costs between two power plant owners located in the Southeast
- Mediated the terms of a development agreement among four utilities to govern their plan to construct, own, and manage a multi-million dollar power plant