Judge Rex Heeseman (Ret.) is an established ADR professional, who also led a distinguished career as a litigator and a judge. Prior to his appointment to the Los Angeles Superior Court in 2005, he represented clients in a wide variety of civil litigation matters for more than three decades. Until his retirement in 2014, he presided at 93 jury trials, adjudicated in excess of 100 bench trials, and ruled on countless motions. His judicial experience gives him a unique perspective on likely judicial rulings and verdicts.
Judge Heeseman actively manages the resolution of complex, multi-party construction disputes concerning owners, developers, general contractors and subcontractors. His experience includes trials, arbitrations and mediations spanning a wide array of disputes involving single family homes, multi-use projects, public facilities, condominiums and high rise buildings.
Judge Heeseman is widely known for his insurance expertise. He co-authors a leading insurance treatise and brings an academic, judicial and practical perspective. His insights often make a difference in overcoming obstacles to settlement concerning underlying coverage issues.
- Current arbitration regarding $6 million residence in Corona del Mar
- Current arbitration regarding large multi-use project
- Arbitrated and ruled upon construction of seven buildings on military base
- Arbitrated and ruled upon 450 plus development near ocean
- Arbitrated and ruled upon renovation of Laguna Beach residence
- Supervision of Right to Repair procedures
- Upgrades to private residences
- Damages related to thermal pressure relief valve
- Wood changes to gym floor
- Modification of various school buildings
- Conversion of buildings into lofts
- Shear wall effects on multi-million-dollar residence
- Water intrusion at high end residences
- Bench trial converting property to restaurant including impact of delays
- Coverage counsel involving numerous high-end condominiums and home