Judge Rex Heeseman (Ret.) is an established ADR professional, who also led a distinguished career as a litigator and a judge. Prior to his appointment to the Los Angeles Superior Court in 2005, he represented clients in a wide variety of civil litigation matters for more than three decades. Until his retirement in 2014, he presided at 93 jury trials, adjudicated in excess of 100 bench trials, and ruled on countless motions. His judicial experience gives him a unique perspective on likely judicial rulings and verdicts.
Judge Heeseman actively manages the resolution of complex, multi-party construction disputes concerning owners, developers, general contractors and subcontractors. His experience includes trials, arbitrations and mediations spanning a wide array of disputes involving single family homes, multi-use projects, public facilities, condominiums and high rise buildings.
Judge Heeseman is widely known for his insurance expertise. He co-authors a leading insurance treatise and brings an academic, judicial and practical perspective. His insights often make a difference in overcoming obstacles to settlement concerning underlying coverage issues.
- Current arbitration regarding $6 million residence in Corona del Mar
- Current arbitration regarding large multi-use project
- Arbitrated and ruled upon construction of seven buildings on military base
- Arbitrated and ruled upon 450 plus development near ocean
- Arbitrated and ruled upon renovation of Laguna Beach residence
- Supervision of Right to Repair procedures
- Upgrades to private residences
- Damages related to thermal pressure relief valve
- Wood changes to gym floor
- Modification of various school buildings
- Conversion of buildings into lofts
- Shear wall effects on multi-million-dollar residence
- Water intrusion at high end residences
- Bench trial converting property to restaurant including impact of delays
- Coverage counsel involving numerous high-end condominiums and home
- Co-author, TRG's "Insurance Litigation," California Practice Guide
- Legal Columnist, Los Angeles Daily Journal
- “Business Torts”
- “Punitive Damages”
- “Insurance Law”
- The Rutter Group
- "COVID-19: Coverage, Claims, and Civil Litigation" (2020)
- “Insurance Litigation Update” (annually, since 1991)
- “Anatomy of an Insurance Policy” (5 times)
- “Critical Coverage Topics” (4 times)
- “Shernoff Bad Faith Seminar” (5 times)
- Consumer Attorneys Association of Los Angeles (CAALA)
- “Trial of Bad Faith Case”
- “Premises Liability”
- “Government Tort Liability”
- West Coast Casualty (WCC) Seminar
- “Use of Experts"
- "WRAP Policies"
- MC and CLM Seminar
- “Judicial Perspective on CD Litigation”
- "Impact of CC&Rs"
- Justice Pro Tem, Second District Court of Appeal (Division 3) (2013)
- BA, Claremont McKenna College, and LLB, Stanford Law School
- Adjunct Professor of Law, Loyola Law School, 2002-2014
- Lecturer, UCLA Law School, 2002
- Assistant and Special Assistant U.S. Attorney
- Captain, U.S. Army
- Attorney-Member, State of California's Judicial Council
- Member, Ninth Circuit's Advisory Committee
This page is for general information purposes. JAMS makes no representations or warranties regarding its accuracy or completeness. Interested persons should conduct their own research regarding information on this website before deciding to use JAMS, including investigation and research of JAMS neutrals. See More