Hon. Rex Heeseman (Ret.) is an established ADR professional who also led a distinguished career as a litigator and a judge. Prior to his appointment to the Los Angeles Superior Court in 2005, he represented clients in a wide variety of civil litigation matters for more than three decades. Until his retirement from the court in 2014, he presided at 93 jury trials, adjudicated in excess of 100 bench trials, and ruled on countless motions. His judicial experience gives him a unique perspective on likely judicial rulings and verdicts. He is attuned to the vicissitudes of litigation.
Judge Heeseman actively manages the resolution of complex, multi-party construction disputes concerning owners, developers, general contractors, subcontractors and design professionals. His experience includes trials, arbitrations and mediations spanning a wide array of construction, construction defect, engineering and infrastructure disputes involving single family homes, public facilities, condominiums and high rise buildings.
Judge Heeseman is widely known for his insurance expertise. He co-authors the leading insurance treatise and brings an academic, judicial and practical perspective. His insights often make a difference in overcoming obstacles to settlement concerning underlying coverage issues.
- Construction defect claims while in practice, as a judge and a neutral
- Supervision of Right to Repair procedures
- Upgrades to private residences
- Coverage counsel involving high-end condominiums and homes
- Damages related to thermal pressure relief valve
- Wood change to gym floor
- Modification of school buildings
- Converting property to restaurant including impact of delays
- Conversion of buildings into lofts
- Shear wall effects on multi-million-dollar residence
- Water intrusion at high end residences