Mr. Himmelman has mediated and arbitrated many cases in the fields of sports, entertainment, and media. His work over two decades has involved disputes concerning professional sports teams; a preeminent national sports league, the players association, and individual players under the league’s Collective Bargaining Agreement; national and internationally acclaimed entertainment companies; a newspaper and its owner and a nationally-syndicated political radio talk show; owners and buyers of national television and radio stations; royalties owed to recording artists, and similar matters. His experience in the sports industry and with its operations, culture, and protocols extends to his participation as a former limited partner in a professional soccer team in a league that preceded the current Major League Soccer. Mr. Himmelman has had significant personal experience with select representatives of professional sports, including the Commissioner of one of the three major professional sports leagues, members of ownership groups, coaches, players, and legal counsel. He has worked closely with a former pre-eminent player in one of the nation’s three largest professional sports leagues.
- Professional Hockey Team. Mediation of a dispute among owners of a professional hockey team involving allocation of present and expected future income from revenue generated by the team, royalties to be earned on team merchandise, and other issues arising from dissolution of the partnership.
- National Professional Sports League Collective Bargaining Agreement. Participation in mediation to settle a highly publicized dispute between one of the nation’s premier sports leagues, the players association, and individual players under the Collective Bargaining Agreement. The matter was the subject of intense mediation scrutiny.
- Professional Sports League Sponsorship Program. Mediation of a dispute between a national sports organization and a leading world-wide credit card company and a contractor over royalties owed to the contractor for assisting in the development of a credit card group sponsorship program with the sports organization.
- Internationally-Acclaimed Entertainment Companies. Mediation of two separate disputes involving challenges brought against two internationally acclaimed entertainment companies. One case involved allegations brought by public interest entities that the company was violating federal law and was otherwise guilty of misconduct in the conduct of its form of entertainment; the company filed counterclaims and RICO charges against the entities alleging they were liable for fraud. The other case concerned alleged breach of contract in the provision of services to the company.
- Sale of Television and Radio Stations. Mediation of a contract dispute between one of the nation’s largest owners of television stations and a buyer over the sale of stations located around the nation.
- National Hotel and Entertainment Company. Mediation of a class action race discrimination case brought by employees against a national entertainment and hotel chain.
- National Sports League. Participated in managing the resolution through arbitration of a protracted, highly public dispute that received prolonged, intense media coverage involving one of the nation’s pre-eminent sports leagues, the players association, and individual players under the leagues’ Collective Bargaining Agreement.
- Newspaper and Nationally-Syndicated Political Radio Show. Member of a three-person panel arbitrating a dispute between a prominent newspaper and its owners and a syndicated political radio show over the terms of the agreement concerning the rights and obligations of the respective parties.
- Recording Artists. Member of a three-person United States Copyright Arbitration Royalty Panel in a case involving the distribution of royalties owed to recording artists from the playing of their music on digital audio recording devices.
- Sports Company Management/Executive Compensation. Sole arbitrator of a dispute involving the departure of the CEO and President from a sport and health company that owned multiple facilities in a major metropolitan area.
- Sale of Radio Stations. Member of a three-person arbitration panel in a dispute involving the sale of radio stations by one of the nation’s largest owners of stations across the country.