John W. Hinchey, Esq. has been recognized as a national and international leader in the practice of construction law and is now recognized in the United States and internationally as a leader in resolving significant commercial disputes as a mediator and arbitrator with the JAMS Global Engineering and Construction Panel. Prior to his retirement from King & Spalding, an international law firm, he led their commercial contracting and construction disputes practice for 18 years . He is now a full-time arbitrator who is listed on several U.S. and global panels of arbitrators, including the JAMS Engineering, Construction, Energy and International Panels. In addition to the JAMS Panels of Arbitrators, he has served as arbitrator on many AAA and ICDR administered arbitrations; he frequently serves as an ICC tribunal member; and he is included on the CPR International Institute’s Distringuished Panels of Neutrals, including their ADR, Construction and Cross-Border Panels; the Institute fo Energy Law Panel, the LCIA North American Panel and the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators Presidential Panel.
- As a practicing lawyer and as a practice group leader and partner with the international law firm of King & Spalding, LLP, Mr. Hinchey represented a broad spectrum of clients engaged in U.S. domestic and international commercial contracting and procurement, including financiers, bond guarantors, surety companies, insurers, owners and developers, design professionals, general and sub-contractors, vendors and equipment and material suppliers.
Mr. Hinchey has served as an advocate, arbitrator, DRB/DAB member, mediator or served as consultant in a great variety of large U.S. domestic and international commercial contracting, construction, energy generation and infrastructure disputes, involving four mega-project nuclear powered energy generation plants in Taiwan, California, Georgia and South Carolina; the design and construction of a paper pulp mill in Uruguay; solar powered energy generation projects in the Caribbean and the U.S.; a hot briquetted iron manufacturing plant; a greenfield fertilizer manufacturing facility; a chlorine-alkali chemical processing plant; various other chemical processing facilities, including a methane reformer hydrogen chemical processing plant on the Gulf Coast; supercritical steam powered and coal-fired electric power generation plants; a wind-powered turbine electric generation facility; a transcontinental natural gas pipeline and storage facility between Canada and the U.S.; an oil refinery in Northwest India; the construction of an off-shore oil drilling platform in the Gulf of Mexico; the design and construction of an ethanol plant in the U.S. Midwest; the financing and development of waste-to-energy plants in the Mid-Western and Eastern United States; the design and construction of a large electric power generation plant in Boston; the construction of a re-fueling airport facility in Qatar; the construction of the World Congress Center in Atlanta; a silver mining project in Peru; litigation in London involving the world’s largest beverage concentrate plant in Ireland; the design and construction of a resort hotel and residential complex in Mexico; the largest convention and resort in the Bahamas; the construction of a large multi-billion convention center, casino hotel and resort in the Cayman Islands; an offshore water intake pipeline system for a power plant off the Western Coast of Mexico; commercial contracts for the repair, maintenance and replacement of railroad rolling stock; and the design and construction of a fiber-optic transmission system covering the Eastern Seaboard of the United States.
Other disputes as an advocate have included:
- Arbitration of disputes between a Scandinavian global transportation service company and a U.S.-based transcontinental railroad company
- Litigation, arbitration and mediation of dispute between U.S. based railway company and an international telecommunications company
- Litigation of claims and defense of claims on behalf of U.S.-based apartment and condominium developer located in multiple U.S. states
- Representation of Home Depot, Inc. in multiple construction projects
- Litigation, arbitration and mediation of disputes on behalf of the Ritz Carlton Management Company and Marriott hotel developers and operators
- Representation of the Coca-Cola Company on a variety of construction projects, including litigation in the London Technology and Construction Court involving claims against a large global engineering company
- Representation of a general contractor and EPC company in contract drafting and dispute resolution on multiple projects in the Southeastern U.S.
- Representation of large equipment and material suppliers in contract drafting, negotiation and disputes
- Arbitration involving assertion of and defense of claims against Rolls Royce, Inc. arising out of a waste-to-energy power generation plan in Illinois
- Arbitration of claims arising out of construction of Atlanta Hartsfield Airport, Concourse E
- Claims, litigation and mediation on behalf of Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. against contractors and sureties arising out of construction of multiple Super Centers and stores in multiple states throughout the Southeastern United States
- Representation of UPS and Turner Broadcasting Company in a variety of construction project disputes
- Acting as construction counsel in the negotiation and drafting of contracts and risk analyses on a variety of design
- Al Udeid Air Base Fueling Facility in Qatar
- Yale University construction program
- Military housing projects throughout the United States
- Turner Field in Atlanta
- Houston Astros Stadium
- New England Patriots Stadium
- Philadelphia Eagles Stadium
- Proposed new Tacoma Narrows Bridge
- Monorail project in Las Vegas, Nevada
- Renovation of the Bethpage USGA golf course for the U.S. Open (1997)
- Drafted the design, construction and procurement agreements for the 1966 Summer Olympic Games and the 2004 G-8 World Conference