Ambassador (Ret.) David Huebner joins JAMS following 25 years of practice in international law and arbitration. He has handled more than 120 arbitrations in three dozen jurisdictions around the world as advocate or neutral, and has particular expertise in technology (including semiconductors, hardware, software, haptics, materials, AI, internet, and gaming), life sciences (including pharma, biotech, clinical trials, medical devices, and healthcare), energy, infrastructure, construction, and investment disputes. In 2016, President Obama appointed him as one of the four American designees to the panel of arbitrators of the International Centre for the Settlement of Investment Disputes.
Most recently, Ambassador Huebner served as a partner in Arnold & Porter LLP’s international arbitration and public international law practices. He has held senior positions in the Asia Pacific region, including as the American Ambassador to New Zealand and Samoa, chairman & CEO of Coudert Brothers LLP, founding chief representative of an AmLaw 100 law firm in Shanghai, and special policy assistant to a member of the National Diet of Japan in Tokyo. He is a graduate of Princeton University (summa cum laude) and Yale Law School.
Ambassador Huebner is a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, Distinguished Fellow of the Auckland University of Technology’s Faculty of Business and Law, member of the ICC Commission on Arbitration and ADR, and life member of the Council on Foreign Relations. He chaired the California Law Revision Commission as an appointee of both Governors Davis and Schwarzenegger. He has taught international law and policy, intellectual property, and dispute resolution at universities in China, Germany, New Zealand, and the U.S.
ADR Experience and Qualifications
- Handled more than 120 arbitrations in three dozen jurisdictions around the world
- Arbitrated under the rules of numerous institutions including International Chamber of Commerce (ICC), International Center for Dispute Resolution (ICDR), The United Nations Commission on International Trade Law (UNCITRAL), Zurich Chamber of Commerce, London Court of International Arbitration (LCIA), International Institute for Conflict Prevention & Resolution (CPR), China International Economic and Trade Arbitration Commission (CIETAC), American Arbitration Association (AAA), Singapore International Arbitration Centre (SIAC), and Hamburg Chamber of Commerce
- On the panels or lists of arbitrators of the Hong Kong International Arbitration Centre (HKIAC), Shanghai International Arbitration Centre (SHIAC), Korean Commercial Arbitration Board (KCAB), Kuala Lumpur Regional Centre for Arbitration (KLRCA), CIETAC, ICDR, LCIA, World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO)
- Particular expertise in investment, finance, intellectual property, life sciences, media, telecom/internet, energy, construction, and infrastructure disputes
- Licensed solicitor in England & Wales and member of the Bars of CA, NY and DC
- Sole arbitrator in large dispute between a multinational media company and Asian joint venture partners over digital exhibition in Asia.
- Sole arbitrator in large e-commerce dispute over ownership of electronic equipment.
- Handled multi-billion-dollar, East Asia focused dispute over validity and licensing of patents in telecommunications devices.
- Handled more than a dozen multi-million-dollar disputes arising from licensing or validity of software, hardware, semiconductor, switching, internet tool, and interface patents involving East Asian, European, North American, and Latin American parties.
- Handled multi-million-dollar dispute between a European telecommunications company and a European state entity over patent use and validity.
- Handled multi-million-dollar dispute between multi-national pharmaceutical company and a European state entity over patent validity, compound ownership, and expropriation issues.
- Sole arbitrator in large multiparty dispute in health care finance sector.
- Handled several multi-million-dollar disputes between European and North American pharmaceutical companies over patent licensing and ownership issues, clinical trials, biotech therapeutics and diagnostics, and health tech.
- Handled several cross-border disputes over patent validity and licensing in the medical devices sector.
- Handled cross-border disputes over non-compete and nondisclosure clauses in executive employment contracts.
- Sole arbitrator in multi-million-dollar film production company acquisition dispute.
- Sole arbitrator in a multi-million-dollar cross-border film licensing dispute in Asia.
- Sole arbitrator in a large media project development dispute between entertainment companies.
- Handled multiple film development, distribution, and joint venture disputes in Asia, Europe, and North America.
- Handled two large disputes over media library ownership and sale by European entities.
- Handled several film and television-related copyright disputes in Asia, Europe, and North America.
- Arbitrator multi-million-dollar distribution agreement dispute in the consumer products sector in Africa.
- Handled multiple cases arising under the Convention on the International Sale of Goods (CISG).
- Handled large leasing disputes in commercial real estate sector in North America and Asia.
- Handled several leasing disputes in aviation sector in Europe.
- Handled multiple cross-border joint venture and project development disputes in East Asia and the Middle East.
- Handled multi-billion-dollar dispute over natural resource extraction and power generation project in Southeast Asia.
- Handled large dispute arising from a long-term oil concession agreement with a state entity in the Middle East.
- Handled multi-million-dollar energy generation dispute involving a North American state entity.
- Handled large dispute over construction defects in a cogeneration facility in North America.
- Handled disputes arising from production and sale of metallurgical coke in Asia.
- Handled large dispute involving construction defects and accounting in hospitality sector in Asia.