Ambassador (Ret.) David Huebner joins JAMS following 25 years of practice in international law and arbitration. He has handled more than 120 arbitrations in three dozen jurisdictions around the world as advocate or neutral, and has particular expertise in technology (including semiconductors, hardware, software, haptics, materials, AI, internet, and gaming), life sciences (including pharma, biotech, clinical trials, medical devices, and healthcare), energy, infrastructure, construction, and investment disputes. In 2016, President Obama appointed him as one of the four American designees to the panel of arbitrators of the International Centre for the Settlement of Investment Disputes.
Most recently, Ambassador Huebner served as a partner in Arnold & Porter LLP’s international arbitration and public international law practices. He has held senior positions in the Asia Pacific region, including as the American Ambassador to New Zealand and Samoa, chairman & CEO of Coudert Brothers LLP, founding chief representative of an AmLaw 100 law firm in Shanghai, and special policy assistant to a member of the National Diet of Japan in Tokyo. He is a graduate of Princeton University (summa cum laude) and Yale Law School.
Ambassador Huebner is a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, Distinguished Fellow of the Auckland University of Technology’s Faculty of Business and Law, member of the ICC Commission on Arbitration and ADR, and life member of the Council on Foreign Relations. He chaired the California Law Revision Commission as an appointee of both Governors Davis and Schwarzenegger. He has taught international law and policy, intellectual property, and dispute resolution at universities in China, Germany, New Zealand, and the U.S.
ADR Experience and Qualifications
- Handled more than 120 arbitrations in three dozen jurisdictions around the world
- Arbitrated under the rules of numerous institutions including International Chamber of Commerce (ICC), International Center for Dispute Resolution (ICDR), The United Nations Commission on International Trade Law (UNCITRAL), Zurich Chamber of Commerce, London Court of International Arbitration (LCIA), International Institute for Conflict Prevention & Resolution (CPR), China International Economic and Trade Arbitration Commission (CIETAC), American Arbitration Association (AAA), Singapore International Arbitration Centre (SIAC), and Hamburg Chamber of Commerce
- On the panels or lists of arbitrators of the Hong Kong International Arbitration Centre (HKIAC), Shanghai International Arbitration Centre (SHIAC), Korean Commercial Arbitration Board (KCAB), Kuala Lumpur Regional Centre for Arbitration (KLRCA), CIETAC, ICDR, LCIA, World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO)
- Particular expertise in investment, finance, intellectual property, life sciences, media, telecom/internet, energy, construction, and infrastructure disputes
- Licensed solicitor in England & Wales and member of the Bars of CA, NY and DC
- Sole arbitrator in large dispute between a multinational media company and Asian joint venture partners over digital exhibition in Asia.
- Sole arbitrator in large e-commerce dispute over ownership of electronic equipment.
- Handled multi-billion-dollar, East Asia focused dispute over validity and licensing of patents in telecommunications devices.
- Handled more than a dozen multi-million-dollar disputes arising from licensing or validity of software, hardware, semiconductor, switching, internet tool, and interface patents involving East Asian, European, North American, and Latin American parties.
- Handled multi-million-dollar dispute between a European telecommunications company and a European state entity over patent use and validity.
- Handled multi-million-dollar dispute between multi-national pharmaceutical company and a European state entity over patent validity, compound ownership, and expropriation issues.
- Sole arbitrator in large multiparty dispute in health care finance sector.
- Handled several multi-million-dollar disputes between European and North American pharmaceutical companies over patent licensing and ownership issues, clinical trials, biotech therapeutics and diagnostics, and health tech.
- Handled several cross-border disputes over patent validity and licensing in the medical devices sector.
- Handled cross-border disputes over non-compete and nondisclosure clauses in executive employment contracts.
- Sole arbitrator in multi-million-dollar film production company acquisition dispute.
- Sole arbitrator in a multi-million-dollar cross-border film licensing dispute in Asia.
- Sole arbitrator in a large media project development dispute between entertainment companies.
- Handled multiple film development, distribution, and joint venture disputes in Asia, Europe, and North America.
- Handled two large disputes over media library ownership and sale by European entities.
- Handled several film and television-related copyright disputes in Asia, Europe, and North America.
- Arbitrator multi-million-dollar distribution agreement dispute in the consumer products sector in Africa.
- Handled multiple cases arising under the Convention on the International Sale of Goods (CISG).
- Handled large leasing disputes in commercial real estate sector in North America and Asia.
- Handled several leasing disputes in aviation sector in Europe.
- Handled multiple cross-border joint venture and project development disputes in East Asia and the Middle East.
- Handled multi-billion-dollar dispute over natural resource extraction and power generation project in Southeast Asia.
- Handled large dispute arising from a long-term oil concession agreement with a state entity in the Middle East.
- Handled multi-million-dollar energy generation dispute involving a North American state entity.
- Handled large dispute over construction defects in a cogeneration facility in North America.
- Handled disputes arising from production and sale of metallurgical coke in Asia.
- Handled large dispute involving construction defects and accounting in hospitality sector in Asia.
- Investment Dispute Panel of Arbitrators, Beijing Arbitration Commission/Beijing International Arbitration Center, 2020
- Member, CPR Distinguished Neutrals, International and Technology Panels
- Trustee, Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, 2020-present
- Admitted to the Bars of California, New York, and the District of Columbia
- Admitted as a Solicitor in England & Wales
- Distinguished Fellow, Auckland University of Technology’s Faculty of Business and Law
- Fellow, Chartered Institute of Arbitrators
- London-based Chartered Institute of Arbitrators' Trustee for the Americas Region (Western Hemisphere)
- Former Chair, Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, Southern California Chapter
- Member, ICC Commission on Arbitration and ADR
- Life member, Council on Foreign Relations
- Member, board of directors of Pacific Council on International Policy
- Member, advisory board of Swiss International Law School
- Member, advisory board of Franklin Delano Roosevelt Center for Global Engagement
- Member, founders’ council of UCLA Williams Institute
- Member, advisory board of USC ADR Center
- Former Chair, California Law Revision Commission, Appointee of both Governors Davis and Schwarzenegger
- Listed on various international arbitration and intellectual property top practitioner lists
- Frequent lecturer before professional organizations on international arbitration, international law and policy, dispute resolution, intellectual property, international business transactions, entrepreneurship, and litigation risk
- Named to the Silicon Valley Arbitration and Mediation Center’s 2018 List of the World's Leading Technology Neutrals
- Partner, Arnold & Porter LLP, Los Angeles, 2014-2016
- US Ambassador to New Zealand and Samoa, 2009-2014
- Partner, Sheppard Mullin Richter & Hampton LLP, Shanghai & Los Angeles, 2005–2009
- Founding managing partner of Shanghai office
- Head of China Practice; Head of International Disputes Practice
- Partner, Coudert Brothers LLP, Los Angeles and other locations, 1992–2005 (Partner from 1995)
- Chairman & CEO of the Firm; member of the global Executive Board
- Associate, Irell & Manella, Los Angeles, 1987–1992
- Office of the Hon. Koji Kakizawa, Tokyo, 1984–1985
- Special assistant to member of Japan’s National Diet (and later Foreign Minister of Japan)
- JD, Yale Law School, 1986
- Editor-in-chief, Yale Journal on Regulation
- Henry Luce Scholar
- AB, summa cum laude, Princeton University, 1982
- Majored at the Woodrow Wilson School of Public and International Affairs
- Phi Beta Kappa; David Lawrence Scholar
- Cybersecurity & Privacy
- Entertainment & Sports
- Health Care
- Intellectual Property
- International & Cross-Border
- Life Sciences
This page is for general information purposes. JAMS makes no representations or warranties regarding its accuracy or completeness. Interested persons should conduct their own research regarding information on this website before deciding to use JAMS, including investigation and research of JAMS neutrals. See More