Hon. James S. Miller is a JAMS DENVER neutral. JAMS Denver is a licensee office. Policies and procedures may differ between JAMS, Inc., and JAMS Denver. Please visit https://jamsdenver.com/ or contact Lisa Gaige at firstname.lastname@example.org or 303-534-1254 for information related to JAMS Denver.
Hon. James S. Miller is a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators and a former trial judge. He has arbitrated more than one hundred claims and has mediated over 3,000 disputes. Judge Miller has experience arbitrating and mediating construction, business/commercial, employment, injury, real estate and professional negligence cases. He is available to serve domestically and internationally as an arbitrator, mediator, insurance claim umpire, special master, receiver, early neutral evaluator and appointed or private judge.
Judge Miller presided over one of Colorado's busiest trial courts for nearly twelve years, where he was praised by attorneys, litigants and jurors for his sense of fairness, his preparation, and his ability to understand and communicate complex factual and legal concepts clearly. He brings those same skills to his arbitration and mediation practice. Judge Miller's undergraduate and graduate background in the sciences make him especially capable of quickly grasping technical, scientific and medical evidence.
ADR Experience and Qualifications
- As a county court judge, Judge Miller conducted numerous settlement conferences
- As a judge and in private practice, Judge Miller has successfully mediated personal injury, family law, probate, real estate, and commercial cases
- Judge Miller served as a trainer for the Colorado Judicial Branch and national continuing judicial and legal education programs where he has won praise for his presentation style and communication skills
- Judge Miller is a member of the faculty of the University of Phoenix and teaches undergraduate and graduate level courses in employment and business law and conflict management systems
Areas of Expertise
- International Commercial
- Personal Injury/Torts
- Family Law
- Professional Liability
- Eminent Domain
- Real Estate
- Intellectual Property
- Homeowners Associations
- Civil Rights
- Fellow, Charted Institute of Arbitrators, London
- Member, International, American, Colorado, Douglas-Elbert County and Arapahoe County Bar Associations
- Co-Chair, International Law Section of the Colorado Bar Association
- Top Lawyer, 5280 Magazine
- Selected as Member, National Association of Distinguished Neutrals
- Selected as Member, Federation of Integrated Conflict Management-Mediation and Conciliation Network, New Delhi
- Mediator, Emirates Maritime Arbitration Center, Dubai
- Arbitrator, Vis Arbitration Moot, Vienna
- Recipient, Douglas-Elbert County Bar Association's Professionalism Award, 2004 and 2016
- Past President, Colorado County Judges Association
- JAMS, Denver, Colorado, 2005 - present.
- Judge, Douglas County, Colorado, 1992-2004
- Served on several Supreme Court Committees and completed the Colorado Judicial Branch's Training for Trainers basic and advanced courses, and three-year Leadership Training Program. Helped develop and present Colorado's first Bench Book on domestic violence.
- Private law practice, 1980-1992, specializing in civil and criminal trials and appeals.
- J.D., University of Memphis
- M.S., Interdisciplinary Science, University of Memphis
- A.B., Biology, Franklin and Marshall College, Lancaster, Pennsylvania
This page is for general information purposes. JAMS makes no representations or warranties regarding its accuracy or completeness. Interested persons should conduct their own research regarding information on this website before deciding to use JAMS, including investigation and research of JAMS neutrals. See More