Judge Smith has extensive experience working closely with courts and litigants as a general and discovery referee, as well as a special master. Having spent 27 years on the bench, he brings a working knowledge of handling large and complex matters as both a judge and full time neutral.
He has served as a referee and special master in a wide variety of complex litigation matters, including disputes involving trade secret, home mortgage, major pension fund fraud, construction defect, trust and estate, and product liability issues.
- Special master for accounting issues related to crafts industry arbitration
- Accounting referee for large arbitration case regarding award of major city contract for waste collection and disposal
- E-Discovery master for major commercial dispute regarding copyright and trade secret violations of popular toy
- Hearing officer for large city for disputes related to medicinal marijuana
- Discovery referee for complex fraud cases
- Court reference for numerous employment disputes
- Discovery referee for disputes related to mortgage fraud
- Special Master for auditing and writ of possession related to matching up invoices and serial numbers with hospital equipment
- Discovery referee for countless construction defect disputes
- E-Discovery referee for many large federal disputes