Judge James has served as an arbitrator and mediator in numerous construction defect matters nationwide regarding commercial, public works, and multiple single-family-home and condominium developments involving civil engineers, architects, contractors, specialty sub-contractors, and interior designers. She is highly skilled at efficiently managing complex, multi-party disputes and is known for her effective communication skills.
Judge James has settled many cases throughout the United States. Her construction expertise encompasses a wide range of legal issues including lender liability, commercial real estate, residential real estate, building and safety code provisions, change orders and extras, insurance coverage, failure to inspect, and lien laws. She also has extensive experience with construction defect issues such as installation defect, personal injury, property damage, delay damages, and design defects.
- Mediated and resolved a construction defect dispute between plaintiffs suffering water damage and the allegedly negligent developer
- Mediated and settled a number of subdivision construction defect delay lawsuits including cost overrun issues
- Served as discovery referee and special master on complex multi-party construction disputes involving large California home builders
- Successfully mediated single residence and multi-unit construction defect matters
- Successfully settled a dispute between a city and a design group over defects alleged in the design and construction of a large public swimming pool
- Successfully settled matters involving soil compaction at a neighboring construction site that caused damage to nearby homes
- Mediated construction defect dispute involving breach of contract, negligence and breach of express warranty case arising out of the installation of solar panels on a 55-unit apartment complex