Gerald Kogan, retired Chief Justice Florida Supreme Court, joins JAMS after many years of experience as a civil and criminal trial lawyer, justice, mediator, and arbitrator. Mr. Kogan served for almost 20 years on the bench as a Judge of the Eleventh Judicial Circuit of Florida and as both a Justice and Chief Justice of the Florida Supreme Court.
Since leaving the bench in 1998, Mr. Kogan has developed significant expertise as an arbitrator and mediator in a wide range of practice areas including business/commercial, employment, environmental, family law, healthcare, insurance, maritime, personal injury/torts, professional liability, and real property.
Mr. Kogan has been a longstanding member of Florida’s legal community with honors and recognition for his work in legal ethics. He was honored with the 1999 Nelson Poynter Award by the American Civil Liberties Union Foundation. The award, the highest honor that is presented by the ACLU, is given annually to a resident of Florida who demonstrates dedication and commitment to the cause of civil liberties in Florida.
ADR Experience and Qualifications
- While serving on the bench, conducting bench and jury trials, Mr. Kogan presided over thousands of decisions resulting in over 1,000 published and authored opinions
- Acted as a neutral in over 500 arbitrations and mediations and appointed for numerous assignments as a special master, special magistrate, and hearing officer while of counsel at Wetherington, Klein & Hubbart, P.A. from 1998 to 2013
- Breach of contract, buy-sell agreements, securities, partnership/joint venture, insurance, corporate, government
- Discrimination claims (age, sex, disability, race, and retaliation), breach of employment contracts, employee benefits, ERISA claims, labor-management disputes, and wage and hour issues (FLSA), professional responsibility
- Environmental insurance coverage; toxic torts; land use and water law; environmental property damage; natural resource law and damages; regulatory and compliance issues; underground storage tanks; mold remediation claims
- Family Law
- Dissolution of family partnerships and family corporations; trust and estate disputes, wills and will caveats; divorce, annulment, property division, child custody, child support, child visitation, alimony enforcement of prenuptial agreements, modifications of custody, alimony, paternity, surrogate and in vitro cases
- Health Care
- Conducted numerous hospital peer reviews; wrongful dismissal of students from medical school
- Insurance coverage, bad faith, property damages, denial of benefits, and other insurance issues in employment, commercial, professional liability, construction, and catastrophic loss cases
- Maritime insurance, cruise ship passenger and/or crew injuries, crew death, damaged cargo
- Personal Injury/Torts
- Auto, truck, and boat; construction site; defamation; FELA; libel and slander; premises liability (commercial and residential); product liability; uninsured and underinsured motorist; workers compensation; wrongful death
- Professional Liability
- Dental, legal, and medical malpractice
- Real Property
- Buyer-seller disputes (commercial and residential); homeowners association; leases, purchases, and sales; real estate agency and broker disputes; title insurance claims