Gerald A. Kurland, Esq. is a full-time mediator, arbitrator, special master and referee who is consistently named by the Los Angeles Daily Journal as one of California’s top neutrals. He is uniformly cited for his ability to achieve consensus in the most difficult and complex cases.
After graduating from UC Berkeley’s Boalt Hall School of Law, Mr. Kurland began his legal career with the Century City firm of Silverberg, Rosen, Leon & Behr, which specialized in the representation of actors, writers, producers, directors, musicians and motion picture and television production companies.
Mr. Kurland has successfully mediated thousands of disputes over the past 25 years. After mediating for several years as a member of the national panel of mediators and arbitrators of the American Arbitration Association, he became one of the first attorney-mediators to become affiliated with JAMS.
In addition to his substantial legal experience in the entertainment industry, Jerry has first-hand experience with college sports. He was chosen to serve on UCLA’s search committee to select the successor Athletic Director to the late J.D. Morgan and is intimately familiar with NCAA rules and regulations.
- Mediation of issues relating to the purchase and sale of film production facilities
- Mediation of many matters involving the purchase, sale, lease, and development of homes and other properties owned by well-known artists and executives in the entertainment and sports fields
- Mediation of issues relating to construction and development of large-scale sports venues
- Mediation of inverse condemnation, business interruption, nuisance and trespass claim by owner of production facility
- Arbitration of software company’s claim of infringement of trade name and logo
- Arbitration of trademark infringement claim by restaurant franchisor and former franchisee
- Handled the documentation of all agreements between executive producer of major motion picture with writer, director, composer and all talent for the film (including profit participation arrangements)
- Structured and documented the lease of satellite transponders by multi-national broadcast network
- Issues relating to licenses and easements for large cable television company
- Claims against director, producer and unit production manager relating to accident in the filming of major motion picture